1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

#2 broody pullet, Welp hatchery

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by farmerChef, Nov 21, 2011.

1. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    Another pullet has decided to go broody from my 3/16 shippment of chicks from welp hatchery. The first was a red-ish cochin (LF) when she was just over 6 months old, and now a "Penedesenca"(looks half welsummer) at 8 months old. I am suprised that I've now had 2 broody PULLETS from a hatchery. First girl's eggs didn't hatch(they had questionable fetilaty), and the new girl will be getting some eggs tomorrow.

Anyone else had broody pullets from a hatchery?

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hello,

Cochins are a pretty proody breed, so that's no surprise (hatchery or not), but the Penedesenca is not a broody breed.

I don't really think that, being chickens from a hatchery has anything to do with broodiness. (Or, I've never heard anyone say that before.)

I've had a Golden Laced Wyandotte that I bought from Meyer Hatchery go broody. They are listed in the catalog as "occasionally" broody, so I was surprised by that.

Sharon

3. farmerChef

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    I don't think hatcheries would want broody chickens, that could cut into their chick production. They might allow and occiasional broody, but they would most likely get rid on any hens that show persistant broodiness. Its like how they also select for egg production more over breed standard, or it appears that way from seeing different breeds from different hatcheries.

Out of 10 partrigde penedesencas, only 1 had blue legs. A few had white earlobes, and a few had carination combs.

4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Quote:I see what you mean, farmerChef......your partridge penedesencas is a blue egg layer? I love the colored eggs. I've got a few EEs from an Amish fellow, and he mentioned to me that he bought them from a hatchery called "Spread Eagle" or something like that. Anyhow, I was lucky enough that both girls are laying a nice greenish blue egg.

Hatchery birds often don't really have a nice standard of certain breeds, I guess. Maybe go to a breeder if that particular breed strikes your fancy....That's what I would do.

When my GLW hen went broody, she was kind of loopy. She would get off the nest once a day to do her business and eat, but then she would forget which nest she was sitting on, so if I hadn't collected the eggs yet, she would be on the wrong nest.....Her eggs never hatched. I guess she was broody challenged! haha

Take care,
    Sharon

5. farmerChef

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by