1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

2 Buff Brahmas, Male or Female???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Popcorn Mcgee, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Popcorn Mcgee

Popcorn Mcgee Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2012
    I have two 3 week old Buff Brahmas. One is supposed to be a male and one a female. I have read a little online that their feathers start to give away whether they are cockerel or pullet. Does anyone know how to tell the difference? One is lighter in color, has more feathers and longer tail feathers and is the aggressive one of the bunch. The other has less feathers, is darker in color and short tail feathers. I'll post two pictures. I'm new at this and hoping someone can tell the difference.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Dingo

Dingo Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm going to guess the first one is a pullet. The other one looks to be about the same as my 2 light brahmas. [​IMG]

3. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    If they hatched on the same day, the shorter-tailed one should be the male.

4. Popcorn Mcgee

Popcorn Mcgee Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2012
    Okay, thanks. We had it backwards. My daughter gave them pretty nuetral names. Yes, they hatched on the same day. Is it common for a pullet to be the dominent one of the flock at this age or does it mean she'll be a problem? Also, how do you like your brahmas Dingo? Are they as friendly as I've read?

5. Dingo

Dingo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine are about the same age as yours, and probly both cockerels [​IMG]
    They are friendly though, they get along with the others but know how to use their weight to push the meat birds away from the food and water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by