1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

2 by 2?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by MillieTu, Mar 6, 2015.

1. MillieTu

MillieTu Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2015
    England
    Hi I'm a newbie.

Can anyone give me some help and guidance on this. I am thinking of getting 2 chicks at a time probably 6 months apart, do you think this would be a good idea?

A few people mentioned a new chick might get picked on but if I introduce 2 at a time this might not happen?

Help please [​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Any time birds are introduced to an established flock there will be pecking/fighting. Is there any possibility that you could get the 4 birds at the same time?

3. JanetMarie

JanetMarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2014
    Michiana
    Bad idea. Get all the chicks at one time that way they are all the same age and that will be better for them. Also, if one of your 2 chicks die then you are left with one lone chick.

1 person likes this.
  4. MillieTu

Mar 5, 2015
    England
    Thank you for replies, I have 2 that are a week old now is it a bad idea to another 2 now??

5. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Doing it now would be better than doing it later. And I'd give the babies a week or so to get a little closer to the same size. Unless, of course, you get a couple of more week-old ones.

6. ECBW

ECBW Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    NJ
    They are like kids. Little kids can go to any playground and find a playmate. Teenagers would only go in pack and look suspiciously at everyone else.

At a few weeks old, integration should be no problem.

1 person likes this.
  7. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I would not hesitate to add a couple more at this time. You might want to put a divider in the brooder, and keep them apart until the younger ones are agile on their feet. Then supervise their meeting.

8. tcstoehr

tcstoehr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2014
    Canby, Oregon
    That is in fact a very good idea. Get that done immediately if you haven't already.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  9. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    I have some 2 week old chicks and 3 week old chicks in my brooder right now. the older chicks were 9 days old when I put the 3 day old chicks in with them. the only problem was the little guys couldn't keep up with the older guys for a few days but that worked out just fine. Chicks are much easier to integrate than than 6 month old pullets.

10. MillieTu

Mar 5, 2015
    England
    I have got 2 10 day Bluebelles coming tomorrow [​IMG] I will introduce them slowly. I will be adding 2 Silkies when they are around 14 weeks but I can keep them separate for a while. I'm sticking at 6 I promise [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by