1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

2 Carnivorous preditors Pics!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by PeepsInc, Sep 9, 2009.

1. PeepsInc

PeepsInc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    NY Tri State region
    Well they wont eat your chickens but they sure are ugly.
    I moved back in the woods about 9 years ago. These leopard slugs started showing up from time to time. Now it seems like there everywhere. They came from Asia,and are only found around rural areas(my place is no wheres near urban). If you have them they were imported at some time(could of been a shipment of lumber?) The great thing about these slugs is that there carnivorous, and eat all those other slugs that eat your flowers. I've seen them twice as large as this one(about 9 inches). I even watched one pick up & eat a piece of dog food one night. I tried using them for fish bait,fish wont touch em.
    [​IMG]

This little guy was in my bathroom! God only knows where he came from.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  2. aussieheelr

aussieheelr Chillin' With My Peeps

In responce to pic #2 and #3... Note to self "do not move to the NY tri-state area!!!"

3. hollyk

hollyk Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2008
    Canton, Texas
    Very cool, I would love something to eat our slugs. The chickens are not so found of them.[​IMG]

4. Country Heart

Country Heart City Girl With A

[​IMG]

5. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    I had no idea the leopard slugs were carnivores!! That's so cool. We have zillions of them in the wood pile, and I've actually tried feeding them to the ducks because I thought they were pests. The ducks won't touch them either. But now I know to leave them there, anyway, because they are probably eating up the real pests. Cool. [​IMG]

6. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    You should contact your county extension office to find out if these are considered invasive exotics. If they're thriving too well in your area they could seriously throw off the balance of your whole local ecosystem. They're eating up others but nothing eats them. [​IMG] It may be nice to be rid of your plant pests, but there are other native creatures that depend on those well-fed pests for their food. And then, there goes the food web.

Perhaps you should find out what that spider is & where it comes from too.

7. Im4dabirds

Im4dabirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    Central Alabama
    We have little black ringnecked snakes that eat our slugs. Don't see many slugs around our woodlot. The spider is some sort of orb weaver I think. Put him in your garden.

8. darbella

darbella Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Box turtles love slugs!

9. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Wow, I've never seen a slug like that! The spider is pretty cool looking! I bet he would do great in your garden. Thanks for sharing the pics too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by