2 chickens 3 eggs

All by Grace

Hatching
Oct 25, 2016
Hello everyone! I joined because I have an odd situation and hoped to find some help. I have 2 chickens and a rooster. The last week I have been getting 3 eggs every other day. We thought maybe our rooster was actually a hen but decided that wasn't it. The norm for our eggs are medium brown. The extra egg is still the same size and has a good shell but it is between white and brown colored. Any ideas?

Hi and
welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us! Hmm, sounds odd. It is common for chickens egg shells to lighten up later in the year, maybe that's it! If you ever have any other questions don't hesitate to ask or just hop over to the Learning Center:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Have a great time on here and best wishes!
smile.png

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

Does the "rooster" crow or mate? I'm rather inclined to think you have three ladies. While egg shell color can change, it will usually do so very gradually - not a sudden obvious difference. And while birds can lay more than one egg in a day, it's incredibly rare and a repeated occurrence is almost certainly impossible.

I haven't seen him "mate" and he isn't crowing yet. He does have spur spots starting on his legs though, that's why we figured he was a he. He is bigger than my hens and has much prettier colors but to be honest I have no clue. My uncle has a bunch of chickens and just sent some home with me one day. I really don't even know what breed they are. I will try to take some pictures tomorrow.

I haven't seen him "mate" and he isn't crowing yet. He does have spur spots starting on his legs though, that's why we figured he was a he. He is bigger than my hens and has much prettier colors but to be honest I have no clue. My uncle has a bunch of chickens and just sent some home with me one day. I really don't even know what breed they are. I will try to take some pictures tomorrow.
spurs aren't accurate way to sex chickens as hens can have spurs too. Don't worry, I thought the same way when I first had chickens.

Hello there, and welcome to Backyard chickens! I am inclined to agree with Queen Misha on this one. Often, if there is not a rooster, a hen will take over as a rooster to some extent. They will grow spurs, make ungodly attempts at crowing, try to mate with the other hens, just to name a few. But at the same time, they will lay eggs. You probably just have a hen exhibiting dominance over the other hens just because there is no rooster around. Thanks for joining us, I hope you enjoy it here as much as I have!

Back
Top Bottom