2 chickens and 1 duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Bumblewood, May 15, 2016.

1. Bumblewood

Bumblewood New Egg

May 15, 2016
    We started with 2 chicks and 2 ducklings. Everyone is penned separately at night, but free range together during the day.
    This weekend we lost a duck [​IMG]
    We are concerned about remaining duck knowing they need companionship. However, the duck has started hanging with 2 chickens. Is this ok? Don't want the duck to be unhappy, but she seems ok? All three are put in same coup at night so duck isn't alone.

Thoughts ?

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    :welcome! The duck is hanging out with the chickens because it needs company, but it would be much happier with a friend of its own species. I'd see if you can find a friend for it locally. You could check your local craigslist, a lot of people are selling ducks this time of year.

3. Bumblewood

Bumblewood New Egg

May 15, 2016
    Will do. Ty

4. Bumblewood

Bumblewood New Egg

May 15, 2016
    Took your advice. Found Peking duck hens on Craig's list. Our duck is two months old, even though they grow fast, is it ok to introduce a full grown duck hen? Does type matter?

5. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop

I would set them up so that they can see each other but not physically interact for a couple weeks, such as sectioning them apart with chicken wire. That way your duck can grow and mature a little bit more and they can get used to each other for a while. Breed doesn't matter, so a pekin would be fine :)

Last edited: May 15, 2016
  6. Chuck68

Chuck68 Just Hatched

May 15, 2016

I agree...keep them separate for a bit but they should be good to go after some introduction time. I have 3 ducks...each a different kind and they go everywhere together, sleep and play together. Good luck!

Last edited: May 15, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by