1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

2 chickens attacked by raccon this morning, saved them both.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Spanishchick, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Spanishchick

Spanishchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2013
    GA
    My Coop
    Hi, only one was bitten she's bieng quarentined. How do I know if the coon was rabid.
    My attempt at shooting it failed. It ran before I got the shotgun. We did hit it twice with a hoe. I'm worried.

2. maxpedley

maxpedley Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2013
    rabies can only be passed on to mammals so you need not worry about it harming your chickens. Also if it was rabid it would likely stay around and attack you instead of running away.

3. Spanishchick

Nov 29, 2013
    GA
    My Coop
    Thank you for answering. You don't know what a relief you've brought me.

4. maxpedley

Dec 31, 2013
    The only yhing you need to be carefull is with the wound. The racoon may not be rabid but he will most likely have bacteria in his mouth which could infect the wound. I suggest acquiring an iodine spray used for horse wounds as this has helped me combat wounds on hens in the past. It is also known as purple spray. More likely than not your chicken will not get infection however better safe than sorry.

5. Spanishchick

Nov 29, 2013
    GA
    My Coop
    Thanks, at this point I wonder if one of them will make it, her beak was split, .......... like a broken nose. I would have put her down but my husband thinks that cocks, when they fight them (in our countries) go through worst and make it as long at their guts and organs are not hanging out or damaged.
    I can't imagine purposely allowing my chickens or rooster to get hurt!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Crazy world.

6. maxpedley

Dec 31, 2013
    Post a picture so I can see please. I maybe able to tell you how she will be.

7. Spanishchick

Nov 29, 2013
    GA
    My Coop
    Beak is cracked, some teeth marks eyes swollen shut but not lost.

8. maxpedley

Dec 31, 2013
    Sounds like it should heal. Provide lots of calcium in the form of oyster grit to allow her beak to heal better. The swelling should go down.

9. Spanishchick

Nov 29, 2013
    GA
    My Coop
    Hold I'm trying to upload but I work in IT for the gov and I'm behind a firewall. Signal is so scrambled I can't send it via my phone.

10. Spanishchick

Nov 29, 2013
    GA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    She's been cleaned

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by