2 chickens down in the last 2 months, another looks on it's way! :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by byudawn, Mar 21, 2013.

1. byudawn

byudawn Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2011
    I don't know why it seems my chickens are dying now. 2 of them died in the last couple of months from bloody bums---they weren't laying and squatted down and overall just didn't want to move---not even for food or water! Now I have a leghorn this morning that is doing the same thing, just no bloody bum. She looks uncomfortable and sick. Do I keep her away from others---is this contagious??? She was fine I thought yesterday.....but I didn't really pay attention. Definitely fine the day before that. Is there any way of knowing? Just checking here for any ideas.......maybe we have too much oyster shell or something, or their eggs are not coming out because they are somehow getting "stuck"? I can't exactly bring her inside nor sit and watch her outside (kids, schedules, etc.) but am upset that it will be three in 2 months! The other 2 died after about 3-4 days of squatting. Thank you for any ideas/help.

2. byudawn

byudawn Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2011
    Maybe I should add, they have constant Nutrena food and water, scraps, are outside in a fairly large area (there are 11 of them now) and have heat, etc. so they are very well cared for. The first one that died was almost 4 years old, so we thought it was just "older", but these last 2 are only about 2-3 years old and still layed well.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  3. geoffric

geoffric Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2013
    We used a little prep h if they had a bleeding vent, and sometimes when that happens that could have have a prolapse too. (For the bleeding ones.) Sometimes it can also be caused by other chcikens pecking as that seems to be a favorite target area.

4. BunkyB

BunkyB Chillin' With My Peeps

It sounds like you have a butt pecker for a hen. That is a nasty since chickens are naturally carnivorous. It may only be one culprit so keep a keen eye on the birds more often and look for a hen going from one bird to another and concentrating on their butts.. She will start pecking and bad things can happen.

If the other hens see her doing this they think food source for them too. If it goes on too long there may be an epidemic. Monkey see Monkey do in the chicken world. Any bloody hens, please separate from the flock. There are antibacterial sprays you should be able to get.. But please keep an eye out for a culprit and separate immediately. May be necessary to cull. If a hen got food there once it is considered to her a food source. Hard habit to rid them of... Best of luck... Steve

5. RiddleMe

RiddleMe Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Have you checked them for mites? Scabbing/bleeding near the vent can be a sign of mites, as is decreased laying, lethargy, etc.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by