2 chickens have died.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lindygirl, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Lindygirl

Lindygirl New Egg

Apr 4, 2017
    2 of my chickens have died! Worried about the rest. They seemed to have some sort of Bacterial infection. Want to give the others antibiotics but what kind and how much? The others look healthy.

2. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    How did you conclude a bacterial infection was possible?

3. Lindygirl

Lindygirl New Egg

Apr 4, 2017
    Noticed one chicken sitting on waterer. Contaminated the water and others drank it too. Put cover over water so they can't sit on it. Now second chicken died. The rest look healthy but have stopped laying. Thought bacterial from contaminated water?

4. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Not likely. They are getting poo in their mouths every time they are scratching and pecking the ground. I assume you are talking about a plastic or metal waterer, not a big drum of water that rarely gets flushed and/or cleaned. How often is it cleaned and fresh water put in?

In your situation I would take one of the birds for a necropsy. You can look up your states animal health labs and find the nearest one. It does need to be refrigerated, not frozen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by