2 chickens one chasing and pecking at the new "guy"

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by sammy, Apr 25, 2009.

1. sammy

sammy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Hi i have (had) 2 hens-I lost one this morning to a hawk [​IMG]

(needless to say I learned my lesson about predators the hard way-i am quite sad about my little "minnie" and will miss her!)

I felt bad for the hen left behind - she being all alone now so we went out and bought another chicken for the coop.

new chicken is 18 weeks but same breed-my old chicken is about 1yr and 3 months...anyway she has gotten aggressive with the new one 2x chasing her and trying to peck her on the back.

is it ok to leave them in the pen together? i am a bit afraid to put them in the same house together when it gets dark

????

thanks

2. speedabug

speedabug Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    I would the new chicken in another pen were she can hear and see the new. And in about a week you can let them be togther there will still be some pecking the older one is justing showing her whos boss.

3. sammy

Jul 8, 2008
    Quote:thanks that's what we did we put the new hen in a chicken wire cage inside the pen

will try letting her out a little bit at a time

4. speedabug

speedabug Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    That sounds good as long as you watch her. You dont want any accidents.

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    The one important thing you forgot is you should always ALWAYS quarantine new chickens.
    I'm sorry for your loss this morning. As has already been suggested the new chicken needs to be where the old one can see her, but not get to her. After you do put them together there's still likely to be some pecking going on, but as long as they aren't drawing blood it's best that you let them work it out.

6. sammy

Jul 8, 2008
    thanks again-the pen we have the 2nd chicken in isnt as predator proof as the house lockup the "old" hen is in but it is on a platform and covered inside a coop that is fairly secure on the bottom and sides but something could dig under but that has never happened (yet anyway)

i really am sad about my little hen we lost-they were both like 2 peas in a pod

what a total bummer [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:So sorry for you loss. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I agree with gritsar....... I would quarantine any new chickens for at least a month before I put them together where they can see each other.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  8. sammy

Jul 8, 2008
    hi all thanks for the advice!

i didnt see the "month" advice till recently-i quarant. the new hen for 1 night and we put a divider in the coop

second day they were sitting squished together under a shelter-they have been good since

not as close as the original 2 but they get along

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by