2 chickens same day prolapsed vents and lifeless

Lauramichelle

Hatching
5 Years
Jan 12, 2015
Is this normal that 2 of my 4 chicken would have prolapsed vents on the same day.... I have collected a slightly bloody egg every couple days but none of the birds showed blood. Today I went out to find 2 of the birds on the ground one with a very bloody vent and lots of blood on the ground and the other bird with a very prolapsed vent. Both lifeless but still breathing. Help??????

I would quarantine both birds immediately. It is possible that they are being (or will be) pecked. Chickens zone in on exposed, red tissue... And the vent is a particular favorite. If they start getting pecked, the other chickens could rip their guts out. Not fun. :/

Clean any wounds and treat as you would if you had a skin injury. For prolapsed vent, you can rub a little Preparation H on it, and gently press it back in. If it doesn't want to go, apply more Prep H and wait for swelling to go down. I'd offer boiled egg, minced garlic, and yogurt in addition to their regular food and water.

Please post a picture if you can!

Do you hear any wheezing, gurgling, sneezing, or coughing? How are their crops? Do they have any masses in their abdomen?

MrsB

Last edited:
I agree with Mrs.Brooke that your chickens were probably vent pecked and injured. A prolapsed vent itself would attract pecking because of the red tissue, and chickens will cannibalize one another. If your chickens are lifeless, they may be severely injured. Give them electrolyte water by dipping their beaks if they wake up enough and are alert. How much room do your chickens have, and are they let outside each day? Boredom, crowding, and feeding a diet containing less than 16% protein may cause vent pecking and bullying, but you may have a bully that needs to go. Since they are in shock, I would keep them war and quiet, and when they can tolerate it, clean the area around the vents with antiseptic. Here is a good picture of a prolapsed vent compared to vent pecking:

vent+a.jpg
images

Prolapsed vent Vent pecking

Last edited:
So one of them was too badly injured from pecking that we had to put her to rest, the other one we took inside and washed up.. She definitely has prolapsed vent. We bathed and then applied prep h and gently put everything back inside. She is very calm. Breathing is clear and strong. She seems to be having a bit of a snooze. I have her in a lrg box with water and it's dark with good air flow. I aided her into drinking some water.... Is this behaviour normal?

Back
Top Bottom