2 chickens will not leave their nest box, what should I do?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sandy sea, Jul 23, 2008.

1. sandy sea

sandy sea Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Gavilan Hills, CA
    My two white cochins have been sitting in their nesting boxes for around 3 weeks. I only have three boxes and all 7 chickens share the boxes. The two make it very hard for me to collect eggs. They won"t move and peck me when I try to collect the eggs. I do not have any roasters and the chickens are now 1 year old. What should I do? Should I got a roaster? Should I get some fertile eggs and put under them? Another question If I were to purchase baby chicks and place them under the two chickens. would they except them as their own, or would they hurt them? New to this. Thanks, Sandy

2. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    If you buy day old chicks and put them under them at night they probably will accept them.

Otherwise to break a broody put them in a wire bottom cage. No bedding. Make it uncomfortable for them is the idea so they don't want to set.

3. sandy sea

sandy sea Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Gavilan Hills, CA
    The feed store has some baby chicks that they got in on Friday, would they be too old to place under them? Sandy

4. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I've never personally tried it but, I don't now why not.

5. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I havent personally tried it either, but the older the chicks are the less likely they are to be accepted. You dont have any guarantee, but its worth a try if you want more chicks. Or you can put them in a wire cage and hang it from the ceiling, like Farmer Kitty suggested.

I am not sure what would happen if you gave them fertile eggs now, they may sit, they may not. It sure would be a long stretch if they have alreadt been sitting 3 weeks.

The other thing you could try is replacing the eggs with a dozen ice cubes once or twice a day. [​IMG] That ought to shock them

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by