2 chicks dead and flat as pancakes how?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Conkuur, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Conkuur

Conkuur Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2011
    I recently had a broody Welsummer hatch out a brood of 2 chicks and had a shipment already coming in. I put them in the brooder together 18 total but plenty of room. She took to the new babies no problem. its been about 4 days and on the fifth day I go to look in the brooder in the morning and 2 of the older chicks (I got a mixed shipment of 1 to 3 week old pullets) was flattened out and dead. No other injuries I could see and they were fine last night? I got these chicks the same local breeder I got them from last year. Any suggestions? I removed the Mom but she is mad and doing her best to try and get back.

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Let her have them. It happens even with the best mothers that some chicks would get flattened. I had that happened with my own bantam with LF chicks and they just get into the wrong place when they all piled up on her. I lose about two to three chicks before everything is fine. Not her fault.

3. Conkuur

May 25, 2011
    ty for your response. Really let her back with them? These were the older chicks . I would assume the smaller ones might be more vulnerable but the older ones? You don't think maybe the mom over corrected the two pecking each other maybe? Or maybe she decided not to accept them because they were older?I'm just really frightened I gave them fresh strawberries last night that was the only thing I did differently.

4. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    It depends on the chick's ages. If they are older than two weeks, it would not be a good idea. If that is the case, let her have the older ones OR the smaller ones, but not both. Pecking will happen but if the chicks get along with each other, I see nothing wrong. See which chicks she accepted.

It is your judgement call, either to adopt them yourself or let her raise them.

5. Conkuur

May 25, 2011
    I put her back with the chicks because she was making such a fuss. I guess maybe I'm just going to stop overreacting I just hate to see dead babies period. I do have the brooder open at the top (It's 6'x6' by 3' now 15 chicks n mom) She sometimes jumps up on the edge and maybe when she jumps down she killed them. No idea but ty so much.

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Mothers knows best LOL! If this is your first time, it's easy to overreact. Next time it gets easier. Sometimes it does happen when you have alot of chicks and the mom is not going to see or feel everything the chicks are doing. Once the losses stop, then you will know how many chicks she can handle at one time or how "smart" the chicks can be when momma decides to lay down.

7. Conkuur

May 25, 2011
    You are right but when each one dead is money down the drain it does add up. BUT on the bright side I have a broody epidemic at the moment. I thought Welsummer were not the broody type but I guess when one goes they all go. I have nowhere else to put anymore broodies so I'm just letting nature do it's own thing. I will leave them in the main coop with the flock and leave it in God and natures hands. I guess now I know why my farmer grandparents seemed so callous when it came to livestock culling and never fretting any little death. I guess when you see enough you learn to understand this is just how things work out.Do you think it was best to close off the broody top? Maybe keep her from jumping up and down? Ty again for all your help.

8. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Quote:[​IMG]

Just let her be. If you can cut the side of the box or area she is in, she can walk in and out and the chicks will follow her around. Unless you have her with the other chickens.

9. Conkuur

May 25, 2011
    Yes she is with other chickens so I have to keep her in the 6'x6' enclosed with the chicks. Before I boxed off the top sometimes she would fly up and sit on the edge for a few minutes (catch her breath I guess lol) but maybe jumping down she may have killed them I don't know. Any idea when i can reintegrate them back into my main flock? my remaining non broody hens (3 lol) are getting bald now from being the only mate able ones left. sadly I have no more room to put or make anymore pens. I guess fear and frustration are making me a living wreck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by