2 chicks dead in shell :(

RyGrowsWild

In the Brooder
Jul 30, 2022
This was my first hatch on my own, but not in my life so I felt confident I could do it, but now feel just terribly guilty and not super sure what went wrong.

These were shipped eggs, and they all arrived with wobbly air cells so I incubated them in egg carton cups to hold the air cells upright. Incubator is an off-brand but has worked in the past just fine, and I leave the styrofoam on it to protect it a little more.
Temps were stable throughout, used 2 thermometers and a hygrometer. Hand turned gently after a few days of resting the air cells. Kept humidity around 40% until lockdown when I jacked it up to 75%, and on Day 21... nothing. I resisted the urge to candle them and waited. Day 22: cheeping from the incubator! Day 23: silence. I made safety holes on Day 24. Nothing, no cheeping or movement or pips. Today is Day 25 and I just eggtopsied to discover mostly quitters but 2 fully formed chicks in shell. One had internally pipped, but the membrane looked a bit dry and I'm not sure if this was a shrink wrapping or not. The other had not pipped at all and membrane still looked healthy, but i couldn't see a beak so wondering if it was malpositioned.

I knew these shipped eggs were a viability gamble, but I didn't expect them to die in the home stretch and I feel terrible. I really want to do better by my next hatch.

Should I have made the safety holes sooner? Within 12 hours of hearing the cheeps?
What do you all think went wrong here?

If something I did was stupid, please be gentle. My heart is busted up over these little chicks today and I'm here so I can do better in the future.

I wish I had advice for you, but I do not. I haven’t ever done this before. I have read that this happens a lot. I hope someone can help you out for next time. I’m sorry for your loss!

I wish I had advice for you, but I do not. I haven’t ever done this before. I have read that this happens a lot. I hope someone can help you out for next time. I’m sorry for your loss!
Thank you! I know loss is a part of livestock (and frankly nature) but I'm a tender person I guess because it has me all tearful today ♡♡

This was my first hatch on my own, but not in my life so I felt confident I could do it, but now feel just terribly guilty and not super sure what went wrong.

These were shipped eggs, and they all arrived with wobbly air cells so I incubated them in egg carton cups to hold the air cells upright. Incubator is an off-brand but has worked in the past just fine, and I leave the styrofoam on it to protect it a little more.
Temps were stable throughout, used 2 thermometers and a hygrometer. Hand turned gently after a few days of resting the air cells. Kept humidity around 40% until lockdown when I jacked it up to 75%, and on Day 21... nothing. I resisted the urge to candle them and waited. Day 22: cheeping from the incubator! Day 23: silence. I made safety holes on Day 24. Nothing, no cheeping or movement or pips. Today is Day 25 and I just eggtopsied to discover mostly quitters but 2 fully formed chicks in shell. One had internally pipped, but the membrane looked a bit dry and I'm not sure if this was a shrink wrapping or not. The other had not pipped at all and membrane still looked healthy, but i couldn't see a beak so wondering if it was malpositioned.

I knew these shipped eggs were a viability gamble, but I didn't expect them to die in the home stretch and I feel terrible. I really want to do better by my next hatch.

Should I have made the safety holes sooner? Within 12 hours of hearing the cheeps?
What do you all think went wrong here?

If something I did was stupid, please be gentle. My heart is busted up over these little chicks today and I'm here so I can do better in the future.

Sorry for your loss, I had a recent experience with loss. It just comes, I cried, I learned a little and then pushed on. I have no experience with shipped eggs, but it sounds like you tried to do everything right. A good crying never hurt anyone Hope your day gets better.

Last edited:
Did you candle the eggs as they incubated? A safety hole is made after the chick has pipped internally. I am sorry for the loss, but shipped eggs are always a gamble. The parent stock could also be the problem. If you try again, get local eggs that do not have to go through the trauma of shipping. Use BYC as a visual guide to help with candling. Those shadows can be confusing. There are always hatch a longs to follow.

Did you candle the eggs as they incubated? A safety hole is made after the chick has pipped internally. I am sorry for the loss, but shipped eggs are always a gamble. The parent stock could also be the problem. If you try again, get local eggs that do not have to go through the trauma of shipping. Use BYC as a visual guide to help with candling. Those shadows can be confusing. There are always hatch a longs to follow.
I did candle on days 3, 7, and 14 - most of the 12 eggs I had did not develop well and by day 14 I just had these 2 :( I made the safety holes after I heard the cheeping (internal pip) but I think I may have waited too long? I'm hard of hearing and it's possible I didn't hear the chick right away when it started making noise (I don't always have my hearing aid in at home) so maybe it pipped the day before. I feel pretty badly about it, but growing up we always just watched for movement rather than hearing peeps. Neither of these eggs rocked at any time. Next time I'll be on them with my hearing aid cranked up by day 19!
Already drying my tears and asking around about a neighbour with a rooster.

Sorry for your loss, I had a recent experience with loss. It just comes, I cried, I learned a little and then pushed on. I have no experience with shipped eggs, but it sounds like you tried to do everything right. A good crying never hurt anyone Hope your day gets better.
Thank you, this made me feel loads better. Farming is at least 50% emotional labour and I'll never let anyone tell me otherwise haha.

Back
Top Bottom