2 chicks from a single egg shell?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Rodster, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Rodster

Rodster Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2011
    Tampa Bay, Florida
    Hi all, I know im still pretty new to raising chicks but i have something quite startling id like to share. My housemate and i have been raising turkeys and chickens together for about a year now and we just had our second clutch hatch out from "suzy" our grey year old turkey hen we've had since she was a little poult. Our last hatch from "mama", a brown, resulted in 4 turkey poults and a single chicken "chick", as we found 2 hens had laid with the turkeys a week after she started setting so we left 2 chicken eggs with the 9 turkey eggs and well, only 4 poults and a single chick hatched out. not bad, all a month old now and fine. Ok, about 5 weeks ago, suzy started setting on 7 turkey eggs. about a week later we took 3 different hen eggs from 3 different hens and stuk em under the living "bator". a blue from penney, a green and a white. i never bothered to candle them first, just figured i'd shoot for the moon. Ok. last saturday night i should have checked further when i heard strange noises but i was tired. next morning, we discovered 6 baby turkey poults, 2 still wet, with 2 baby chicks and only the blue egg shell. there was (and still is) 2 chicken eggs and a turkey egg left unhatched. the 2 chicks are exact opposites, one yellow with some dark spots on it's head and the other all black with a patch of yellow on it's head. i only wish i had seen the birth itself as i still dont believe 2 chicks from a single shell, but thats what we woke up to. i am still working on getting some better pics together. Anyone else hear of this? im still kinda freaked about it. Thanks.
    Rodster and the ant.

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Twins can occur if the egg is a double yolker. They rarely make it to hatch though because they have difficulty hatching themselves. That's cool if they did both hatch for you!

3. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Chances are better that any "missing" egg shell evidence was eaten.

4. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Unless I misunderstood the OP, there aren't any missing egg shell pieces. I think he/she said 4 eggs were set, 3 are still under the broody and there are 2 chicks. Did I read that wrong?

5. Guinea and Chicken raiser

Guinea and Chicken raiser Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2012
    Northern Louisana
    i think you got one of your eggs totally eaten up by all the other hatchlings.

edit: yep, just like nurse turtle.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  6. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Have a look at this

It is possible, its also possible that someone snuck another egg into the nest and then the shell was eaten when the chick hatched ;) I love surprise babies! Good luck!

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by