2 chicks hatched

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bubbastump22, Jan 8, 2013.

1. bubbastump22

bubbastump22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2012
    madison,fl
    well yesterday i was checking the coop and picking up around outside cause i was having someone come and pick up some hens from me..well when i opened the backend of the choop i noticed that 2 eggs were hatching..the first one was already out but had to push the shell off of it complety .. anyway i had to help the second chick out of its shell.which i knw your not suppose to but it couldnt move and was starting to get really quiet... well i helped it out when the momma came back i quickly put it under here when i distracted her with my other hand.. after that i went and removed the hen with the chicks and nest into the house...earlier today i was reaching into the dog kennel to clean up a pile of poop so it wouldnt stink up the kitchen and noticed that one other egg was cracked...i thought ok well its goin to hatch but i noticed that it wasnt cracked from hatching but from the momma hen hitting it with her beak..so i quickly got it out of the kennel and i noticed blood..i was like ****..thats not right and when i took the shell apart i noticed that it must of been cracked for a couple hours or a day cause the inside was hard.. so after removing the shell i noticed that the chick was atleast a min of 4 days early cause it still had alittle bit of its yoke left...i knew then that the chick was goin to make it and it was really sad... my question is y would momma hen peck at the egg..did she not want it anymore..did i do something wrong that made her do it... but now there is atleast 4 more eggs under her with the chicks..i knw that 1 more egg of hers is fertile so i hope that it will hatch in the next couple days ... what should i do ..should i remove the remaining eggs from her and just let her have the 2 chicks in there now? i mean shes still sitting on the eggs with the chicks...

2. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Hens are good at knowing what's happening in the shell. The chick probably died in the shell, and she was getting rid of the egg (which is a good instinct, since a rotting egg could give the others a bacterial infection). If a hen is a proven momma, I never question their decisions to reject eggs.

3. bubbastump22

bubbastump22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2012
    madison,fl
    but thats the thing tho ..when i removed the egg and opened it up..the bby chick was still alive..so that was the strange part..y would she peck open a live chick?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by