2 chicks I'm unsure :( Roo? or Hen?!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Nystra, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Nystra

Nystra Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2010
    Southern ME
    This first one is Miri my Americana, Aracauna, EE watever u want to call it lol. i got a pic of her face lookin out from bushes and her tail.. I have a EE roo already and she is either mimicing him or shes a roo... i'm jst not sure with the way she is acting. her tail isnt curling yet but idk i just dont know!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and this little one I got expecting him to be a Rooster.. But as he grows I'm just not sure.. I got two cochins at the same time. but now as they r growing i'm noticing differences. First off one is HUGE compared to the other one. (they were received as day olds from the same batch. the Splash well theres no doubt hes a boy. but my little blue is jst not the same size attitude, and the comb is sooo small! and the tail isnt growing in pointy like the splash. so heres some pics

[​IMG]

the splash is in the back here
    [​IMG]

and a view of both their heads so you can see the comb difference...
    [​IMG]

thanks for the help in advance!!!!!

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Your EE is definately a pullet, her feminine showed!

As for the two chicks, Cochins and Orps are hard to sex but I will try....

the small combed may be a pullet while the other one, large combs, would be the roo.

3. Nystra

May 18, 2010
    Southern ME
    Quote:lol her feminine doesnt show when shes outside! she must be mimicking my Roo or something cause she runs around w/ her head down neck fluffed up just like he does wen he rounds the girls up. its amusing to watch. and the cochin is a tricky one... Was sposed to be a he but just isn't looking that way [​IMG]

in which case my 2nd question would come in.. if it does turn out to be a hen.. can I hatch chicks from her with the splash cochin roo? or is it too risky for them to be related since they are from the same hatchery batch?

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Could she be a dominant hen?

5. Nystra

May 18, 2010
    Southern ME
    hrmm maybe a dominant hen.. I guess that would make sense... I was getting worried because the comb is so red and similar to my Roos... this little flock is my first group of chicks. I've raised them all from day olds except the Roo.. she was just getting to similar to him her tail was growing long and I'm just waiting for it to curl on me. its already got iridescent green thrown in there. here is a picture of my EE Roo i was gonna hatch chicks with the two of them next spring.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 22, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by