2 chicks with leg problems

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by kristen_k, May 17, 2011.

1. kristen_k

kristen_k Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2011
    Mason City, Nebraska
    Hi,

I have 46 CX's that are 4 weeks old. I have 2 that are just laying around. When I put their feed in the morning they are very happy to see I have food coming. Well this morning I had two that were just laying there and wouldn't get up. I moved them over to the feeder and they stood up to eat but their balance was off. I got them to walk a little by themselves but they were walking goofy and only went so far and just sat down. I really am at a loss of what to do.

I forgot to add that one of them always has his feathers ruffled out and he isn't very responsive when I pick him up. The other one looks like he is sitting on his butt and his legs kind of stick out. Help!

Thank you!

Kristen

2. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    Looks like you have a few cull birds. Cull the listless one, ruffles, soon. Watch the other one. Culling is part of the process.

3. kristen_k

Apr 28, 2011
    Mason City, Nebraska
    How do I cull them??? Should i save the meat off of them? They are almost cornish game hen size.

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  4. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    Read other posts about how to kill and process the birds. Yes, you can eat your culls.

5. kristen_k

Apr 28, 2011
    Mason City, Nebraska
    Well I got the one culled and butcherd. It was a little rough going through with everything, but I got it done and I think I did pretty good since it was my first time. I have read a lot the threads on here that have been very helpful. This was a great learning experience!

6. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    it always seems like it's the small ones whose legs give out on them. I culled 10 out of a hundred last week for just that same reason. I realize you already culled yours (good job!) in the future just make sure they are kept fed and watered up to the day you set to dispatch early.

7. kristen_k

Apr 28, 2011
    Mason City, Nebraska
    I was feeding him by hand and carrying him to the waterer the past 2 days, I didn't want him to suffer and this morning he couldn't even get up anymore so I thought I better act quick. I feel a lot better about this now!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by