2 chooks, one nesting box

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by GHJ1, Dec 31, 2012.

1. GHJ1

GHJ1 New Egg

Sep 12, 2012
    My bantam is currently sitting on 6 fertile eggs, due to hatch next week. One of my Sussex is laying in the same nesting box each day. Do I need to worry about this when the eggs are due to hatch? Will she hurt the chicks?

2. SarahJaneB

SarahJaneB Chillin' With My Peeps

I haven't had my broodys hatch eggs yet but from what i've gleaned from this site is that most people will seperate their broodys they are using to hatch eggs away from the others. Sometimes the broody'll forget what box her eggs are in and she'll sit in a different one allowing her eggs to get cold, or once the chicks hatch the other hens will see the new chicks as intruders or threats so they'll attack them. If you have somewhere safe you can move her and the eggs I would do it. Such as an unused dog house or something. I have a seperate mini chicken coop that I will be putting my broody hens into when I want to hatch with them. [​IMG] Good luck on the hatch!

3. tadpole98

tadpole98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Missouri
    i would separate the broody at night. keep it dark when you move her so she doesnt quit. Kennels with a box + fresh water and food should do the trick.
    or you can mark the eggs and just take the other out every day, then once they hatch move her. if you dont move her others can kill her chooks

4. GHJ1

GHJ1 New Egg

Sep 12, 2012
    I was planning on giving her some privacy once they hatched by blocking off the box she's in (but so she can still get out) and shutting the others out during the day. Will this suffice? I don't have anywhere else to put her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by