2 cockerels one coop?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jenny-wren, Feb 21, 2016.

1. jenny-wren

jenny-wren New Egg

Feb 21, 2016
    Hi, I have a coop to fit 18 hens witch at the moment has gone from 9 to 6 to 3 to now 2 , one being my lovely docile cockerel and his sweet sister . my originals are there parents 1 cockerel( Rhode island red) and 2 sister hens (Marans) witch decided to up and leave there chicks after 6 weeks and go down farm with all the grown up chickens . i need to really bring them back up home and was wondering if the two cockerels can live in harmony . i have herd they can and nether are aggressive there both scared of there of shadows! my youngster one has been in company with 3 others before all brothers and they never touched each other , as for the daddy who ran for the hills after are pint sized cockerel went for him . so just wondering if it was an idea to introduce my two mr's to each other and see how it goes and after that see if they could live together?

2. chicklover 1998

chicklover 1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    sometimes it works sometimes not you can put them both in dog kennels very close to each other but it keeps them from being able to fight with each other and keeps it so that one cannot claim the coop while the other is confined to a cage.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] The only way to find out is to give it a try. Generally 'stranger' roosters will fight to prove dominance. It's all about assuring that their genes get to carry on.

4. LRH97

LRH97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Southern Illinois
    Welcome! I agree with sourland. Give it a try and see. Some roos work well together, some don't. I have four roos in my flock that were either raised together or introduced into the flock before they hit "puberty". Keep in mind that the fewer hens you have for them, the more competition there will be. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by