1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

2 Cocks, 1 silkie 1 Wynadotte

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by SimonChicken, Dec 29, 2013.

1. SimonChicken

SimonChicken Out Of The Brooder

Dec 28, 2013
    Markyate, London England
    My flock of 10, 3 silkies (1 cock) 6 hybrids 1 Barnevelder and 1 polish frizzle bantam. They all free range and there is 3 coops available, the silkies in one and the rest in another. So with the spare coop, enough for 8 birds I have been offered 3 Wynadottes one of them a cock. Can this work out as the one cockeral will be greatly larger than the other therefore there will be no competition? I am open to getting more hens if this will defuse the tension greater.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    The silky will resent any other rooster entering his turf and will fight the Wyandotte. The Wyandotte will kick his butt, and if a mellow bird will then leave him alone or if not he may actually kill the silky. Closely monitor any integrations of these flocks.

3. SimonChicken

Dec 28, 2013
    Markyate, London England
    The wynadotte, is from my neighbour and has been kept with cockerels his whole life, the silky is also the same however they were brothers, fathers etc will this make them more likely to get along?

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Give it a try. That's really the only way to find out for sure. Good luck.

5. SimonChicken

Dec 28, 2013
    Markyate, London England
    Yeah I thought as much after all they are all different in temperament, thanks anyway :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by