2 Colombian Wyandottes and 1 blue red laced Wyandotte growing slowly

CountryQbanGirl1776

In the Brooder
Jun 6, 2021
Seffner, Florida
I placed an order recently from Murray McMurray and I ordered 2 Colombian Wyandottes 2 blue red laced Wyandotte (maybe red blue laced, can't remember) 2 buttercups and a surprise chick which ended up being another partridge cochin same as my first surprise chick. So my others are growing much faster the 2 Colombian Wyandottes and 1 of my blue red or red blue Wyandottes are still kind of small. The other red blue or blue red is about 1/3 bigger than her sister. Idk if they just grow slower or if they are failing to thrive. In my first round of raising chicks I had a rhode island red that stayed super small like this and I lost her. Is there anything I can do to help a chick that is failing to thrive or is that just nature taking its course. I feel something kind of hard on the inside where her bellybutton would be. She just pooped on me and it was liquidy with hard balls in it. Could she be constipated or impacted. I feel 2 lumps one closer to her vent which is smaller and one a little higher up which is bigger. Her sister feels softer in that same spot. But she's pooping and eating and drinking. Any advice I can get would be great. I don't want to lose her.

Last edited:
I placed an order recently from Murray McMurray and I ordered 2 Colombian Wyandottes 2 blue red laced Wyandotte (maybe red blue laced, can't remember) 2 buttercups and a surprise chick which ended up being another partridge cochin same as my first surprise chick. So my others are growing much faster the 2 Colombian Wyandottes and 1 of my blue red or red blue Wyandottes are still kind of small. The other red blue or blue red is about 1/3 bigger than her sister. Idk if they just grow slower or if they are failing to thrive. In my first round of raising chicks I had a rhode island red that stayed super small like this and I lost her. Is there anything I can do to help a chick that is failing to thrive or is that just nature taking its course. I feel something kind of hard on the inside where her bellybutton would be. She just pooped on me and it was liquidy with hard balls in it. Could she be constipated or impacted. I feel 2 lumps one closer to her vent which is smaller and one a little higher up which is bigger. Her sister feels softer in that same spot. But she's pooping and eating and drinking. Any advice I can get would be great. I don't want to lose her.
Pictures of the chicks in question?

What are you feeding?

Pictures of the chicks in question?

What are you feeding?
Feeding medicated chick starter. I will upload a photo shortly. Also I bought some bantams today. Straight run but I'm pretty sure I have 8 girls and 2 boys. Maybe 7 to 3. And I have one girl that keeps crying I've tried it all. Holding her against my chest inside my hoodie, she has food and water, put her under the heat lamp if she's on the other side of the brooder. She had a little bit of pasty butt earlier and I noticed it looks like she has a hemorrhoid (prolapsed vent I think it's called) it's just one little bubble but I read online it hurts to poop and I got some preparation h and put a little bit on her bottom. Is there anything else I can do for her. First time dealing with this and I hate hearing her cry. Well that's what I associate loud chirping with. I figure babies cry when they have a need they need met chicks chirp loudly aka crying. They are all so tiny I don't want to lose any of them either.

IMG-20210805-WA0000.jpeg
IMG-20210805-WA0003.jpeg
IMG-20210805-WA0006.jpeg
IMG-20210805-WA0009.jpeg
IMG-20210805-WA0011.jpeg
IMG-20210805-WA0013.jpeg

The first is the two sisters, the second two are my Colombian Wyandottes and the bottom 2 are my little bantams bottom

For those chicks you suspect being FTT, try Poultry Nutri-drench. This is what it's for. In addition to a drop or two undiluted into the beak each day, and a weak "tea" of Nutri-drench in the water, try special feedings of high protein such as finely minced boiled egg and crumbled tofu.

The chick with hard lumps may be constipated. Try chilled coconut oil directly into the beak, about half a teaspoon.

I lost one of my FTT yesterday. She was just laying there not moving letting the other run all over her. I tried to feed her but she wasn't interested at all. She was also gasping for air. I had my husband cull her bc you could feel her bones thru her tiny body (more than normal) and I didn't want to extend the suffering just for her to die anyway. I put hydro-hen in their water along with vitamins. I'll see if I can find nutri-drench instead.

Thank you guys.

Back
Top Bottom