2 Crazies setting Buckeye eggs today--anyone want to join?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Germaine_11.20, Jan 22, 2010.

1. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    OK now I am in the right spot. Let's get to hatching!! Anyone want to join?

2. Germaine_11.20

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    Yes, I know they are huge. I thought Buckeye eggs were only medium size. Someone didn't tell these hens!

3. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

OK .... I'm here, I'm here! [​IMG]

I got my eggs at 0730 this morning! I took pictures, and am uploading them now >>>> be right back!

We should say .... these are special Buckeye eggs, to us, right? We both got them from JamesA, and are very excited!

4. Germaine_11.20

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    Yes we should! I am so excited that I forgot. Sorry JamesA!!!! I still haven't put mine in but I am going to go do that now. And I will take some pics too.

5. kathyinmo

OK, here we go .... [​IMG]
    Package arrived. DH picked it up at the post office this AM.
    [​IMG]

I opened the box ...
    [​IMG]

Beneath the packing peanuts ....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are all the eggs. No broken or cracked eggs. I ordered 2 dozen, and received 2 extras. I thought to myself >>> *Self, these are some large eggs!*
    [​IMG]

Now, I might add.... When unwrapping, I discovered that 3 of the eggs were upside down. That is ... small side up.

Because some of the eggs were dirty, I did go ahead and wash them off, with a damp washcloth. I was afraid to put them in the bator like that. [​IMG] I dunno ... bacteria and all ??? Do you think I washed off the bloom, and will that be bad?

I now have them resting. I will plan to set them in about 8 - 12 hours.

Do you candle yours before setting them? I have never done that before. I have read others say they do, and discover detached aircells. Then again, I read that even detached aircells can hatch. Right? [​IMG]

6. Germaine_11.20

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    Nice pics!! Yes I do wash my eggs when they have coop matter on them. I don't want to introduce anything in the bator that I don't have to.

I usually run the water to nice and warm and then I wet MY hand and wrap it around the egg and let it moisten up. Then I continue with my hand and the egg so as to take off as little bloom as possible. If they only have a little coop matter then I just put them in.

Mine are in as I type. I forgot to take the pics so I will have to take them of the ones now in the bator! But they look identical to yours.

Did you see James has an auction going. I love to see the pictures of the birds. I am hoping I get a few of those choice ones!! And you too!

7. JamesA

JamesA Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Cedartown Georgia
    I want to join in.I also set my buckeye eggs yesterday.I set 15 eggs from Laura Haggarty.I am going to have two completely seperate lines.Kathy sorry about the eggs being a little dirty.It has been aweful in Georgia with all the rain and everything here is a soaking mess.I left it up to you if you wanted to wash them.I am glad they arrive safe.I wash my eggs if they are dirty like that before incubating but people have different thoughts.I hope we all have great hatches!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  8. kathyinmo

Hey James! So glad you joined us! Will you post your pictures here, too? Those are some beautiful, gorgeous birds! [​IMG]

9. Germaine_11.20

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    Wahoo, glad you did set some James! I hate the rain and mud--it is snowing right now...sigh...I want Spring and warm...

I will try and not candle til day 7 but I am weak willed. Someone needs to hide my candler!

10. JamesA

JamesA Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Cedartown Georgia
    I would love to.I am so proud of my Buckeyes.I do want to add that all I did was purchase them .Chris McCarey did all the hard work on this awesome line of Buckeyes.My birds are the hatch mate brothers and sisters to the birds Chris won with at the Ohio Nationals this past year.The hens were breed back to the father to the birds that won in Ohio to create these eggs.Here are a few picture.I am not a photographer but you can get an idea with the pictures. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by