2 Day Florida Coop Build! [By ChooksinChoppers & Squishy!]

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Squishy, May 11, 2011.

1. Squishy

Squishy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Florida
    Well... Mom (ChooksinChoppers) is exausted... so I thought I would post up our 2 day coop build for her!

Great thing we had our boarder (room renter) fellow around.. hes super handy! Erin had all of the gizmos.. saws, drills, sander, tree trimers, I don't know what the rest are called... and he graciously helped (read - did most of the work) in building our coop!

Mom also labored quite extensively, chose the materials, tacked up all of the hardwire cloth, assisted Erin, and waved her magic wand of semi-feasible sense at difficulties! [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

While I came along after and did the staining and varnishing... and.. umm... pizza ordering! You shouldn't under-estimate the hard-ship of pizza ordering! I thought my poor fingers would fall of from the strain! [​IMG]

The results of the toil from Day 1!

[​IMG]

Yes, we are from the future. This is a future coop. Just hush!

Day 2, mid-morning!

[​IMG]

Away we slaved... long into the afternoon... and whence the sun dipped below the horizon, on we toiled! Our backs breaking, the sweat beading upon our brows... One of us, mother or I, sitting upon our lawn chairs while watching Erin work... decided to order some pizza.

That done, we broke out the shop light and continued our struggles long into the night. Only, the shop light burst a bulb halfway through construction of the door, and off Erin had to run to the store to get a replacement bulb and another shop light as well. Mother and I studiously awaited the arrival of our pizza.
    Ok, getting past the pizza part... there we labor under the heat of shop lights and the swarms of bugs, nigh unto the wee hours did we toil!

Pictures from the next day...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There is adorable-ness and functionality on the inside of this coop that cannot be seen in these photos... so I will leave you with a promise of more photos on the morrow!

We have to figure something else out for the ramp... what we stuck up there is just a temporary solution.. but the Silkies may well not like it.. and we need something that is both gradual, doesen't take up all the room in the coop, or stick out unattractively! Like a grand circular staircase perhaps! [​IMG]

Yes, yes.. OK... the roof shakes are not in place on the 2nd day.. or even at the moment... and so you might be thinking that it does not qualify as a 2 day coop... However... the inside is liveable for the chickies, so I think it counts! [​IMG]

Not only does Erin refuse to take payment for his efforts... he refuses to see what a geat job he did! He keeps saying it's not carpenter worthy [​IMG]

2. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Very Nice

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Amazing work in just two days.

4. smcjoj3

smcjoj3 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2011
    Rocky Point NC
    Awesome! Great Job! ...If you could come explain to my husband that it doesn't take 2 months to build a simple coop, that would be great also.....my 6 wk old chickens would totally appreciate it! [​IMG]

5. lebentier

lebentier Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    SoCal
    fantastic!

6. farmerinKC

farmerinKC Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Kansas City, Missouri
    That's really cute! My son is still working on mine. I look forward to more photos of yours.

7. ChooksinChoppers

ChooksinChoppers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Ocala, Florida.
    Sooooo...not a good day...stupid neighbors tried to report us for having chickens so Code enforcement shows up [​IMG] first day, she says DD's Silkies are ok cause they are DD's pets and gave us an exemption ....coup (I told her Bird house) [​IMG] was ok too..just clean up 2 old tires in back..then she comes today again and says...no... bird house needs a permit!!! plus another violation for construction debri [​IMG] so now I need to get drafted ,engineer stamped plans with set backs shown, in 5 days! I am soooooo [​IMG] (both just warnings)..but heck...really? The neighbors have no idea what we can do to them ***chuckles evilly****

8. 2DogsCoop

2DogsCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2011
    Naples, FL
    Looks great, hope you get everything worked out with the county. I feel your frustration, it seems even harder to do things in Collier County. Keep us posted!

9. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    I love my neighbors....they don't say anything about our chickens so we don't say anything about their pot....wait...chickens aren't illegal here.....

Love that cute bird house...
    sharon

10. Nava

Nava I Got The Naked Neck Blues

Aug 2, 2009
    Ocala Fl
    [​IMG] very nice!!!!!!!!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by