2 day old baby chick sick

clucknbell

Chirping
5 Years
May 11, 2014
Ohio
After much anticipation, we picked up our new batch of day old chicks Monday. They were lively but a little tired from their hatch. Tuesday showed them playful and alert. Today, it seems I will lose one of my Buckeyes.
sad.png
This chick is lethargic, slow heart rate, droopy wings, panting, repeatedly opening and closing its mouth, randomly jumping straight up like its got springs on its feet, and landing/laying on it's back for a minute until it struggles to turn over. No idea what's going on and all the others are fine. Never lost a chick, so this is a first for me. Checked for pasty butt and looked for obvious signs of discomfort, but nada. Have been hydrating with a syringe and save-a-chick electrolytes and probiotics, but no response. Progressively getting worse every hour...poor little gal. Any ideas appreciated.
0.jpg

The video isn't working for me. Try giving her some mashed boiled egg.
The vid should be working now...settings were set to private rather than unlisted. I run a dogsledding channel on youtube and was trying to separate chicken videos so that wouldn't show up next to the dogs lol. I will try the egg and see if it helps. I'm starting to wander if what I'm seeing isn't seizures tho. About 30 minutes ago she started jumping up like she had springs and shaking her head like a wet dog and running into objects. Still can't get one of the episodes on video...they are quick and usually done by the time I get my phone out.

Thanks everyone for trying to help. Despite our efforts, our Buckeye chick passed quietly late last night.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom