2 Day old bantam barred rocks Sick???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by funonahonda, Jul 2, 2008.

1. funonahonda

funonahonda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    Central Ohio
    We got our 8 barred rock bantams today and a few of them act like they can't stand up ans when they do they fall over, and one of them was laying on it's back and I picked it up and it walked a couple steps, Is this the way bantams act when they are so young or what. Thanks alot

2. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

Doesn't sound good to me. Have you tried giving them water by dipping their beaks into it? You may want to try some type of electrolyte. Our feed store sells Durvets or Mcmurray can overnite Aviacharge 200. If not some diluted pedialyte or gatorade works too. I had one chick who took a while to learn how to eat, so I would dropper feed her an electrolyte mixed with chick feed and yogurt. Good luck!!

Sonja

3. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    I got 5 bantam barred rocks last week, only 1 of them has survived. I put a lot of effort into cleaning their poopy butts, separating them etc., but it still wasn't enough.

My bantam EEs in the same batch are thriving- already trying to fly. I think the bantam barred rocks are just a more delicate breed and did not handle the stress of shipping so well.

Keep any crusty stuff cleaned off their butts. You may have to feed those few by hand for a while. You can mix their crumbles with warm water and know they are at least getting some water that way. Mine seemed to respond well to the mush with a little bit of plain yogurt mixed in. I am sending good thoughts your way.[​IMG]

4. funonahonda

funonahonda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    Central Ohio
    Thanks alot FLAKEY I am going to try that tomorrow and see what they do, three of eight has already passed away and one looks the same way, so we will try it.

Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by