2 day old bantam struggling to poo, prolapsed vent?

roheryn

Songster
10 Years
Jul 23, 2013
Northern CA
We got feed store bantams this morning knowing that they were lost a day in the postal system (should have arrived yesterday morning) put them in with 5 other 3 day old chicks with heat lamp and brooder plate. We have chick crumbles and warm sugar water with Chick Boost (probiotics, vitamins, electrolytes) One of the new bantams after a few hours started to become unsteady, and seems to be straining in her vent. It seems to be protruding a bit. No pasty butt, clean vent, but swollen. We gently stimulated with water, then put a little coconut oil on her vent and tried to get her to eat a little soft coconut oil. She has passed a little poo, just a little, so its not completely blocked if that is even an issue. After reading a few other posts, we put cortisone cream on her vent hoping to reduce the swelling. She cries and gets picked on when we put her with the others, so we've been holding her in warm towels for a while. She seems to also stretch onto her toes instead of crouching down like the others, and sometimes twists her head. I've put her into a raised nest half under the lamp so she is very warm. She did drink on her own this morning, and a little this afternoon. Keeping her somewhat isolated keeps the others from pecking her vent (I read we might put Blue Kote on the vent to change the color) and hoping that rest and heat will help. She is still in the same big kennel with the other chicks and can hear them, which keeps her calm.
tempImageekAE5D.png
Any other suggestions?

Attachments

• tempImage2Sks2Z.png
    tempImage2Sks2Z.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 11
  • tempImageCZEmpd.png
    tempImageCZEmpd.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 11
Update: applying more cortisone cream and heat, chick slept with others and this morning vent is much better. She is more active and has more normal poo. Still giving sugar and probiotic in the water, but looks good!

Sad update: even though she seemed much better, was eating drinking and playing with others, we woke this morning to find her gone. Sometimes they just aren’t strong enough. My daughter was devastated and we buried the baby with an acorn so she may be reborn 😥

I'm so sorry you lost your sweet little one :hugs
I fully understand your daughter was devastated. It is so sad and difficult especially when a little one seemed to perk up and feel better. You did everything you could to help her❤️
What a wonderful gesture to burry the dear baby with the acorn.
Sending hugs.

Back
Top Bottom