2 Day old black spanish turkey chick foung with entrails hanging out of navel.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mr Maran, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Mr Maran

Mr Maran Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2012
    Phoenix,AZ
    Today my mother purchased 3 black spanish turkey chicks and two wellsummer. I went to see them but did not handle them as I had just recently handled a chick form another brooder. I had noticed that one of the turkeys was standing in a corner with it's eyes closed. I thought that it was about to go to sleep. A couple hours later, I wnet back out and saw that there was some small blood drops in the brooder and the same turkey was standing, eyes closed and shaking in a nother corner. I picked it up and noticed that it's small and large intestines were both partially hanging out of where it's navel had been. This is my theory on what happened but I have neven heard of this happening so it would be greatly arrpeciated to get some new ideas. For any wondering, the chick was immediately culled. I think that the navel wasn't fully healed and was probably swollen and red. I believe that then, one of the other chicks pecked at the area and the navel opened up and the poor chicks entrails spilled out. I have never ever heard of this happening before so I would really love to hear some feedback.

2. hiddenflock

hiddenflock Chillin' With My Peeps

It could be a yolk sack, some chicks hatch out with it still attached...

3. Mr Maran

Mar 26, 2012
    Phoenix,AZ
    I was most definitely the intestines. I knwo what the yolk sack looks like and that was not what it was.

4. hiddenflock

hiddenflock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh, ok, do you think another chick might have pecked it open and pulled out the intestines?

5. Mr Maran

Mar 26, 2012
    Phoenix,AZ
    Thats just an idea. I was mainly wondering if this had ever happed to anyone because I've never heard of it happening.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by