2-Day old chick bleeding and swollen near vent UPDATE

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by smkchick, Sep 27, 2011.

1. smkchick

smkchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2011
    Lawnguyland
    My newly arrived Golden Buff chick has a swollen area near her vent. There is crusted blood and it's bothering her, although the other two "girls" she came with don't seem to be too interested in pecking it. I cleaned the area and put some neosporin on it. I tried separating her so there wouldn't be any pecking, but she put up such a fuss, I put her back with the others. These are my first chicks and I'm a little nervous about this. Should I be worried?

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  2. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

Congratulations on your new chicks. Sorry for the problem with the one. If it is still wanting to bleed, you can coat it lightly with flour to help stop the bleeding. Otherwise, the neosporin is fine to help it heal. This is where the embrionic sack is being absorbed into the chick. It was hatched a bit early. It should heal up fine and the swelling should go down in a couple of days. Keep the area as clean as possible and make sure the other chicks do not peck at it. Your little chick should turn out fine but it might take some time before it looks normal. Once the little one starts feathering out, you really will never see it.

3. flashover1969

flashover1969 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Gilbert, AZ
    Try using a red heat lamp for the heat source in your brooder. The red color makes any blood spots vanish, thus discouraging picking. [​IMG]

4. smkchick

Sep 3, 2011
    Lawnguyland
    Thank you sooo much for the reassuring words. As a new "mom", I tend to worry (although I don't remember worrying this much about my daughter!). The other chicks don't seem interested in pecking at the area, and the neosporin seems to have discouraged any investigation! All three chicks are acting perfectly normal: eating, drinking and peeping up a storm. The Golden wants to get to the area (I think the neosporin is bothering her more than anything) but of course she can't reach. I'll keep an eye on things. I feel so much better hearing it's nothing serious. I love having BYC to come to! I really like reading all the stories. I'm almost glad I lost my job so I can be home with my chicks...[​IMG]

5. Noobchick

Noobchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Creedmoor, NC
    Just wanted to say [​IMG] and that I do the same worrying thing with my chickens. Lol. Its such new territory for most of us on here. I'm very grateful for the people who've kept chickens for a long time. They're incredibly patient and helpful.

6. smkchick

Sep 3, 2011
    Lawnguyland
    Thanks Noobchick. I got an email from the breeder who said it was probably a scratch (!?) received in shipping - it's way more serious than a scratch - but that neosporin was the right treatment. The other chicks are still ignoring it. I love having chickens. I live in a suburban area and I see/hear about people keeping chickens (being kept by chickens?) more and more.

7. smkchick

Sep 3, 2011
    Lawnguyland
    Little Shirley seems to be a little better today. Less swollen. I've been keeping the area clean and using neosporin twice a day. Otherwise, she seems perfectly healthy and happy (except when I pick her up to wipe her butt!)

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by