2 Day old chick clicks when she breathes...help?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by salsss, Mar 12, 2017.

1. salsss

salsss Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2016
    Adirondacks, NY
    This chick hatched on Friday afternoon. I can hear her "click" when she breathes....is there anything I can do for her? I have no antibiotics (except for me) and I'm giving electrolyte/vitamins.

Anybody have a suggestion? The hatch was my first and only two survived. :(

2. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    I'm sorry, but I've not had good outcomes when I hear the clicking sound. How is the chick acting? Is she eating and drinking on her own?

I often suggest diluted nutra-drench in an eye-dropper for struggling chicks, but not when they're clicking. You can try just placing a drop on the side of it's beak- so it can open it's mouth and drink it on it's own - but if they inhale any it will kill them. The clicking is already a respiratory problem.

Hopefully you'll get more ideas! I hope she pulls thorugh for you!

3. salsss

Mar 26, 2016
    Adirondacks, NY
    Thanks! She is eating and drinking on her own...and is looking okay, though subdued. Her only other chick mate is vocal and complain-ey but seems vigorous. She sounds like she's a little less clickey today...this has been a tough time with the little ones this time. Last year was my first and went really well! They 're on electrolytes and vitamins and eat egg yolk for a treat.

4. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    The longer she keeps hanging in there - especially while eating and drinking - is great news! I hope she keeps getting stronger and beats that chicking sound!

5. salsss

Mar 26, 2016
    Adirondacks, NY
    She is still with us! Eating, drinking, spent a little more time out from the Brinsea heater today. I'm taking that as a good sign.

6. FlyingNunFarm

FlyingNunFarm Overrun With Chickens

May 28, 2015
    Chardon, OH
    My Coop
    Interested to know how your chick is. I also have a chick with a click. Seems totally fine. Is actually the biggest chick out of the bunch. Eats, drinks, poops...and poops. LOL I almost wondered if it was a defect of the windpipe or something.

7. salsss

Mar 26, 2016
    Adirondacks, NY
    She is wonderful! 12 weeks old now. Her poop was a bit runny at the time but she got normal really quickly and holds her own with the others! :) She's my favorite.

8. FlyingNunFarm

FlyingNunFarm Overrun With Chickens

May 28, 2015
    Chardon, OH
    My Coop
    :)
    So good to hear!

Did she grow out of the click? Did you give her anything extra? These are my first hatchlings and I'm worried. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by