2 day old chick died

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kaybats, Jul 20, 2011.

1. kaybats

kaybats Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    July 8th, I bought 10 one day old buff orpington chicks (actually, 11...the girl at the hatchery told me she threw an extra one in). Everybody A OK all night. Even at 5 am. Next morning. Throughout the day I noticed one not eating, drinking and overall becoming more and more lethargic. I brought her into the house and tried to hand feed with only very little luck. Watched her ALL day and sometimes would see some improvement. She died that night somewhere between 8:55 and 9:10....I was heartbroken.

Is there something more I could have done for her?

On the up side the other 10 are doing great! And so are the 5 white rocks I just got this last Friday (couldn't help myself [​IMG] )

Meanwhile, I'm patiently, ahem, awaiting my very first egg from my 20 week old RIR's!

(Been having computer issues, really miss you guys)

2. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Sometimes they are just too weak ...I lost two of 10 this year. Not a lot you can do but keep them warm, maybe try to give them dropperfuls of electrolytes and watery food - but you have to be careful that they don't aspirate it. I kept mine in my bra for warmth - but the two still died. Thus your hatchery's practice of giving you an "extra".

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  3. kaybats

kaybats Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Quote:Ah. I just thought I was being cynicle(?) When I thought that about the "extra" one.

It was still heartbreaking as I am sure you know. I carried that baby around with me everywhere that day niceand warm and tried to get her to eat/drink. Put her down around 9 pmm so I could shower and when I got out, she was gone.[​IMG]

4. Novaleigh

Novaleigh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2012
    Queen Creek, AZ
    Your story made me cry. I remember raising a tiny little bald baby Starling, I named it Peaches, since home canned peaches was the only food I could find to keep it alive for the first week. It grew to trust me and depend on me. I had to leave for 2 days and entrusted my brother to care for Peaches. Peaches refused to eat or drink from anyone but me. When I came back, Peaches had passed on to birdie heaven. I was devastated!

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by