2 day old chick having trouble pooping

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Hennypen, Aug 29, 2010.

1. Hennypen

Hennypen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    The chick had a small bit of pasty butt yesterday which was odd because the brooder was clean etc... but after I cleaned up its bottom a huge amount of poo came out. Since then, the chick squaks and squaks every time it has to poop but not much is coming out. Is there anything I can do for it?

2. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Make sure they are drinking enough and a dab of oil rubbed on the vent should help till they start a regular cycle. Perhaps a light mash for a few day's couldn't hurt.

AL

3. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Pasty butt is caused by chicks that are in rooms that are too drafty, not necessarily a dirty brooder. Make sure your babies aren't having temperature fluctuations in their brooder due to breezeways, etc. That should clear up the pasty.

4. Hennypen

Jun 14, 2009
    Quote:Good to know. Thanks! This is the 5th hatch all raised the same way and the first problem like this. Only one chich has a problem.

5. Hennypen

Jun 14, 2009
    Not the best photo but it tells the tail. I don't know if the wrong egg was sent and this is a tailless breed ( do those exist?). Or if this chick has a defect in the rear end area. Thoughts? The two other chicks are growing tails this one is not and he also had trouble pooping. He strains a lot. it dies come out but he pushes really hard.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 31, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by