2 day old chick not drinking

tsard

In the Brooder
Mar 26, 2019
I have a click that hatched yesterday morning (10:30am) and she doesnt seem interested in water. I have dipped her beak in the water dish several times over the past 24hrs but she only backs away from it and shows no interest.
She has pecked at the food crumble a few times but hasn't had much of that either.
My main worry is the water.
Is this common?
What should I do?
I dont want to lose her, it would break my husbands and my heart to lose our very first chick.

Welcome to BYC!

At two days old, she's probably still absorbing yolk (This can take up to three days) and she may not be hungry [EDT: Or thirsty]. It's perfectly normal, and if she seems healthy otherwise, I wouldn't worry.

Does she have buddies? Chickens are social animals; they like having others of their own kind around.

Last edited:
:welcome
Technically a chick doesn't need food/water until around 72hrs since they absorb the egg yolk that keeps them sustained.

All you can do is introduce her to the water/food. If you have Poultry Nutri-Drench you can give her 1-2 drops per day. Drop it beside her beak and let her take it in.

Is she otherwise fairly active - not acting like she is cold and constantly staying under the heat source?
Is she the only chick?

She is a solo chick. 2 more will be hatching in under a weeks time. She has a stuffed beaver and a mirror in the brooder which she spends most of her chirping to.
As stated she has pecked at her food but not overly interested in it.
She spends most of her time.e curled up with the beaver and sleeping.
I'm more concerned that she is not drinking.

I would worry that she's spending most of her time curled up and sleeping.
Do you have photos of her?
Does she have a source of heat?
Yes she has a heat lamp. I have lowered it so it is warmer for her, but she still stays close to the mirror and her beaver. Only perks up when she sees my husband or myself.

I would worry that she's spending most of her time curled up and sleeping.
Do you have photos of her?
Does she have a source of heat?
She jumps up on her beaver when she sees my husband or myself

Attachments

• 20190326_133005.jpg
    20190326_133005.jpg
    576.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 20190326_133052.jpg
    20190326_133052.jpg
    466.7 KB · Views: 12
She is a solo chick
Yes she has a heat lamp. I have lowered it so it is warmer for her, but she still stays close to the mirror and her beaver. Only perks up when she sees my husband or myself.
She jumps up on her beaver when she sees my husband or myself
Awww...cute chicks!
What happened to the other one since she is by herself?
Sounds like she is lonely, but it's good if she gets excited for company when you visit her.
Being able to climb/hop up on the beaver, doesn't sound like she's lethargic or anything like that.
At 2 days old, I think she will start drinking soon give her some time. You can always drip a few drops of water beside her beak to see if she will take it in. Tap the water and feed dishes like you are pecking at them. Chickens like to eat together so she may be more receptive if your fingers are "eating/drinking" too.

That mirror makes it look like you have two chicks. Took me a second to realize that's the same chick twice. Super duper cute! It looks well. If any concerns, I'd def try the Nutri Drench. Made all the difference for one of mine who wasnt thriving. The improvement was almost instant. Might just be a wait and see situation.

Oh - and congrats on your first chick!!!
:love

Awww...cute chicks!
What happened to the other one since she is by herself?
Sounds like she is lonely, but it's good if she gets excited for company when you visit her.
Being able to climb/hop up on the beaver, doesn't sound like she's lethargic or anything like that.
At 2 days old, I think she will start drinking soon give her some time. You can always drip a few drops of water beside her beak to see if she will take it in. Tap the water and feed dishes like you are pecking at them. Chickens like to eat together so she may be more receptive if your fingers are "eating/drinking" too.
Sadly her hatchmate didnt survive the entire incubation. Embryo died at about 14 days.
I think she is just lonely. I took her out for a bit with her food and water and she did do some drinking and eating. It's just to cool for her to stay out to long. Maybe 5min at a time.
I have 2 more eggs in the incubator which should hatch in less then a week (fingers crossed). So hopefully she wont be lonely for to long.

Back
Top Bottom