2 day old chick running high fever.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Carolgm24, Mar 16, 2015.

1. Carolgm24

Carolgm24 Hatching

Feb 17, 2015
    I noticed him lying down a lot so I decided to pick him up and he was on fire. To be sure, I picked up another chick and he was cool to touch. I believe the sick chick is one that was pipping sideways and I had to help him out. He may have gotten chilled at some point while I was struggling to free him. There was no loss of blood - he had absorbed everything and seemed perfectly fine. How to I help him and bring down the fever? Thanks for all your help here. Carol

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Free Ranging Premium Member 7 Years

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. I would try to offer him vitamin/electrolyte water such as SaveAChick or Poultry Nutri-Drench. Fever in chickens can occur when they don't take in food or water. Temperatures in adult chickens can vary from 103-107 degrees F, depending on whethter or not they are eating. With newborn baby chicks, all I know to do is feed electrolytes until they are taking food and water, keep them warm and dry, and hope for the best.

3. Carolgm24

Carolgm24 Hatching

Feb 17, 2015
    Thanks,Eggcessive, I will try that. This is my first hatching so I am muddling along, learning as I go. When I saw that he had pipped sideways, I ran to the forum, and someone already had an answer ready for me! This group saved his life once already.[​IMG] Carol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by