2 Day Old Chick with Bloody Bum-What is it and what do I do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dawnteacher, May 12, 2010.

1. dawnteacher

dawnteacher New Egg

May 12, 2010
    We just got 20 new day old chicks yesterday. These are our first chickens ever. They are currently housed in our house in a large plastic container with wood shavings as bedding. Today I noticed that one of my Buffs has a pea sized black lump on her bum. Thinking that it might be pasty butt, I ran it under warm water and attempted to pull it off. It started bleeding. I think it might be a lump of skin that has been pecked by the other chicks. I put her back in the container and they started pecking at her right away so I have moved her into a container on her own, near enough the heat lamp to keep her warm with her own water and feed. I looked through all the chicken books I got from the library in the diseases section and didn't read anything like this. Is it a disease that I need to watch out for or did she just get the wrong treatment from the other birds? Her vent is clear and she is still pooping and eating/drinking. Do I treat her wound with anything? I feel so bad for her!
    I took pictures but have no idea how to upload them. I'll send this out and then figure it out. Any help and suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thank you!

Dawn

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 12, 2010
  2. dawnteacher

dawnteacher New Egg

May 12, 2010
    Bump....anyone? She's eating and drinking. Still confined by herself for the moment.

3. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    I would personally use some blue wound kote type product to cover the bloody area, let it dry, and then put her back in with the others. This product is my steady stand by for small wounds like that. If the chick is healthy and doesn't need to be isolated for other reasons, i strongly recommend blue-ing her and getting her back in with the others. It works as an antiseptic and helps keep the others from bothering that spot. It's wonderful.

4. La_TomboyGirl

La_TomboyGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    NW Louisiana
    Not sure about the skin piece or whatever, but for sure try a red light in your brooder once you reunite her with the others so that it takes the attention off of that RED bobo she has. That will help a lot with the pecking. Maybe you pulled on her little dry cord.Here's something about it from MPC:

"The Umbilical Cord
    Some baby chicks will arrive to you with an intact, attached umbilical cord. It looks like a very thin black string, attached to their rear. For heaven's sake, don't pull it! It's not "pasting up"! Just leave it alone. It will fall off within a day or two. Pulling it can really injure them. "

My chicks rarely had one, but a couple have. Looks like a twisted up stringy thing. The pic's blurry, but it looks low enough on the rear to be the cord. Perhaps a bit of poo, etc. got stuck to the cord & made it look like pasting up? I'd leave it alone from now on, perhaps just clean with diluted peroxide & put a bit of Neosporin on it, then let it be. Just a lil bit though. Hope this helps. [​IMG]

5. dawnteacher

dawnteacher New Egg

May 12, 2010
    Thanks all! I'll see if I can get it taken care of today. I need to get a red lamp and something to treat the wound with. It's dried up now and doesn't seem to bother her much. I had her in a separate container suspended on a board above the other chicks under the heat lamp yet and last night she decided to join them all. I listened for loud squawking last night and watched her for the first 30 min or so and they didn't bother her, so she slept in there with everyone last night. It was funny to watch her looking over the edge at them about a foot down and "longingly" look at them. I guess she decided to go it on her own. Anyway, they're all sleeping very nicely at the moment, so the kids and I will get some breakfast and then head out to get that stuff.

Thanks again!

Dawn

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by