2 day old chick wont poop....help please

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by JANAE, Jun 2, 2011.

1. JANAE

JANAE Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2009
    hey Ya'll......I need some help.....one of my last baby chicks hatched by the momma is having some issues.....it has been trying to poop all day and there is poop coming out but it vent (?) is steadily oozing poop and has been coing it all day.....also its legs dont seem straight and it is not walking.....I dont know how worried I should be (but I am VERY worried).....and is there anything I can do......it is getting run over by the other older chicks that hatched over the weekend and it seems to not want to come out from under mom......any help would be great!

2. chicksntexas

chicksntexas Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    Magnolia, TX
    I'm not sure how to help...I had a couple with pasty butt the first few days and ended up washing them in warm water and cleaning their little butts. I had to do it a couple of times before it cleared up. Maybe someone with more chick experience will give you some good advice! I still pretty new at this.

3. JANAE

JANAE Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2009
    I did clean her up just now with warm water......but I am really more worried about her legs....she doesnt seem to be able to walk.......she kinda flaps and stumbles.....can a cripple chick survive....

4. Dornes

Dornes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    South Western WI
    I suggest possibly putting it somewhere where the others cannot trample all over it. I got a shipment of day olds (well they are actually 3 day olds now) today and I have two of them that are acting like yours is. (other than the poo issue) They stumble around and can't seem to keep up with the others. I put electrolyte in their water and I am hoping that it helps them along.

Just seperating it from the others so it don't get trampled though would help it out more than allowing it to be in with the others and getting run over and stepped on. I put my two back in their shipping box and set that up in the brooder . The others cannot get in there and they seem to be getting enough rest now that I hope in a couple days they are bounced back.

Best of luck with your chikkie!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by