2 day old chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by vale, Mar 3, 2017.

1. vale

vale Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2017
    Hi guys im new to this. I have successfully hatched my first chick. She is in a brooder. Also has electrolytes and heat light but all she does is sleep and seem drowsy just wondering if any body could help me. Thanks

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Like any newborn, chicks in the first few days can spend a lot (often seemingly all) of their time sleeping....often leading the keeper to think that it is always sleeping because it happens to be sleeping at all the times it is checked on. Was the hatch uneventful or complicated? Has the chick made any effort to take in food or water as of yet? Are there other chicks that should soon hatch or will this be a lone chick? What is the temperature in the brooder floor at the warmest and coolest area? If you pick the chick up does it respond or remain limp and "sleeping" in your grasp? Has the chick moved around under it's own power at all?

3. vale

vale Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2017
    Hi thanks for responding. Have. Got 2 eggs one is due to hatch tomorrow. Her hatching was quite complicated the membrane had turnt like rubber so had to help her with it.she in brooder temp on floor says 90. She has attempted to eat some crumb.she moves about quite abit.when she stops for a mo she then goes drowsy and sleepy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by