2 day old chicks already roosting on small roosts

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by fiddleblue, Sep 5, 2009.

1. fiddleblue

fiddleblue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    I built my 4 by 5 ft henhouse before purchasing chicks, and decided to use it for my brooder. At first, I began with 6 chicks and put up a wall to halve the space, creating a 4 ft by 2.5 ft size brooder area with 2 heat lamps, one 125 Watts, one 275 watts, adjustable in height and sometimes one turned off, depending on the temperature (mild here in the SF Bay Area: usually around 70 -75 degrees outside recently, but a few days up to 90). Later I got 2 more chicks and increased their space to 4 ft by 4 ft. I also placed a couple approx 1 inch diameter pieces of tree branch and a 2 by 4 block with a 1 by 2 atop it, and what I'm seeing is that the chicks all love to roost, though due to their size they do so more by sitting atop the branch than by wrapping their feet around it (feet are too small for that...). I also placed the waterer on top of a 1 by 2 frame covered with wire mesh, 2ft by 14 inches, so that they wouldn't fill up the waterer with kicked in pine shavings, and this really helps keep the waterer clean. Even at only 1 day old the chicks were able to jump up onto the waterer platform. From what I can tell the chicks love having all this space, and enjoy playing on the different roosts. I keep the heat lamps off to one corner so they can sit under them or go off to cooler corners, as they please. I also like that the brooder is basically big enough for me to sit inside it and let the chicks hop up on me, which they like to do.

Four 2-week old Silver Laced Wyandottes, two 1 week old Light Brahmas, one 2 day old Buff Orpington, one 2 day old Rhode Island Red.

Of these chicks, one of the Silver Laced Wyandottes appears the most curious and intelligent, and the Light Brahmas seem the most tame and mellow when handled.

Deborah

2. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

How sweet! I love it when they do cute chicken things [​IMG]

3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I did the same thing and put my chicks into their coop with their brooder.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Fiddleblue...can you post pics??? [​IMG] I'd love to see your new babies "roosting."

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by