2 day old chicks with purple watery poop

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by aaronlaura04, Feb 6, 2013.

1. aaronlaura04

aaronlaura04 New Egg

Feb 6, 2013
    have had my broilers for 2 days. they are probably 4 days old. today they have purple poop that is solid with clear water all around it. I am feeding medicated chick starter and water. water had sugar in it yesterday but not today. It started late yesterday with one having it, now throughout today all 4 chicks have the purple poop and water. they are very active, are eating and drinking fine. They are still on the paper towel so it is very easy to see. Any help would be great.

2. The Chickeneer

The Chickeneer ~A Morning's Crow~

I have never heard of this before. I can't really help, but i hope someone on here knows what this is. Is there anything else in the brooder they could possibly be eating?

What I would do, is put a little bit of apple cider vinegar (raw unfiltered)in their water(as long as the waterer isn't metal). Apple cider vinegar is a miracle worker on animals, it helps perk them up if they are sick, its a natural probiotic, its a natural de-wormer, helps bring out their color, etc. It can be used on any type of bird, goats, rabbits, dogs and the list goes on. I believe the ratio is 1tsp of it to 1 gallon of water, I am not sure thoguh so you might want to search BYC for that

Keep using the paper towel bedding as it is easy to see the purple poop, and you will be able to see if they have stopped. Make sure they are eating nothing else but chick starter. Hope you find a solution, good luck [​IMG]

3. aaronlaura04

aaronlaura04 New Egg

Feb 6, 2013
    Not sure what caused the purple poop, but it is gone now. Over the course of the day yesterday each chick stopped pooping purple. They do still continue to have lots of water when they poop. I read somewhere that if it is too hot this can happen and they are drinking a lot more than I think they should be. I have been slowly raising the light the last two days to see if that will help. they have plenty of room to get away from the heat light so not sure why they wouldn't just move away from it if they were too hot.

4. The Chickeneer

The Chickeneer ~A Morning's Crow~

A lot of the times chicks will be stupid and not move away when it's too hot lol. Their common sense will come with time....Im happy to hear they stopped pooping purple. You should still put the ACV in their water though, it helps make sure they don't get any other sickness when they are chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by