2 day old duckling not eating?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by won023, Feb 10, 2017.

1. won023

won023 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2017
    England
    I've gave it Chick starter mix I've left it there for the duckling to eat with the water and tried to indroduce it with my hand etc it has pooed a bit is that a sign that it's eaten a bit? And is there ways I can get it to eat food and drink as I'm quite concerned for it how long do they absorb the yolk for? A picture below shows the poop[​IMG]

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Ducklings can live off their yolk for up to three days, so it's possible he's just not hungry yet. He could also be sneaking bites when you're not looking.

Green poop means he's still digesting the yolk and that's what's passing through his system. When it turns brown it means he's eating the feed and that's what's passing through.

3. Ren2014

Ren2014 Blessed Beyond Hope Premium Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Texas
    Sprinkle some of the feed onto a white paper towel. The specks of crumbles appeal to them and should get him interested in eating. Is it drinking? Add some electrolytes or a little sugar water if you're worried. Keep us posted.

I'm assuming you have it in a warm brooder, right?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  4. won023

Jan 31, 2017
    England
    [​IMG]
    Yess I have a brooder set up thabkyou he's starting to notice the crumbs and drinks water by him self now! Wondering if this poo colour is normal

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  5. won023

Jan 31, 2017
    England
    Tha
    thanks I think it's turned brown now and has started pecking at the food his legs are still a bit shaky at times but moves and runs a lot! Also jumping etc is that common?

6. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    That poop definitely looks like food poop, seems he's eating now :)

Yeah, they can be hyper little things for sure! Do you have others or is he the only one? If you only have him I'd start looking for a friend for him so he isn't lonely.

7. won023

Jan 31, 2017
    England
    we had five incubated they were the only two surviving I called this one tiny as he had the smallest egg and pipped the wrong way (malpositioned)he was assisted whilst hatching didn't know if he would survive as he was the weakest and smallest however another duckling which hatched by its self and was in a relitivly normal sized egg was the quite one and tiny would trample on him and huddle etc but one day when I came to check he had died I didn't know what from he was wet I suspected the other duckling came to drink and was trampled on by tiny the water was really shallow so I didn't reli expect it but we started with 5 eggs and are now left with one duckling we have one in the incubator left ready to pip any second now hope this one survives so tiny can have a friend:)

1 person likes this.
  8. Ren2014

Jan 27, 2014
    Texas
    Sorry for your loss. What are you using to water them with? Make sure it is not only shallow put small so they can't get in it. I don't worry so much about them dipping their nose/eyes in it until after several days of being well on their feet. Tiny definitely needs a friend[​IMG] for your remaining egg. Glad it is eating now. It usually takes ducks a day or so to pick up after hatching, assisted or not. When they don't have a mama, you have to teach them how to eat and drink. And don't worry about the poo for a few days... you will see all kinds of nasty stuff right out of the egg[​IMG]

9. won023

Jan 31, 2017
    England
    Thabkyou for your concern good news the egg in the incubator has pipped so anyday now tiny will get a new friend hopefully all goes and the pair will grow old together! And can't stop eating now and constantly poops![​IMG]

10. Ren2014

Jan 27, 2014
    Texas
    [​IMG] So precious! O yeah, that's one thing... once it starts pooping... it doesn't stop and the poops only get BIGGER, lol. Have fun!

You can put a mirror in with Tiny for company until his buddy joins him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by