2 day old Duckling not eating

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by won023, Feb 10, 2017.

1. won023

won023 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2017
    England
    [​IMG]ive giving it Chick starter mix crumbs I've left it there for the duckling to eat with the water and tried to indroduce it with my hand etc it has pooed a bit is that a sign that it's eaten a bit?im really concerned about it is there a way I can get it to eat? And how long would they be absorbing the yolk? Help is appreciated
    Thankyou

2. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

Wet the feed like a soupy mix......peep and quack to the baby while it follows you fingers to the feed.....they need help the first few feedings

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  3. chickens really

Make sure it is not medicated feed too. Also it will need niacin.......

4. won023

Jan 31, 2017
    England
    Thankyou I wetted the food and only eats little bits then try's the water then sleeps next to the lamp again sleeping is normal after eating little bits?

5. chickens really

Yes, new baby ducklings sleep lots....They do need you to help them eat every couple of hours... Change the wet feed every time as it sours really fast.....best of luck.....I know Ducklings so I will help as much as you need......

6. won023

Jan 31, 2017
    England
    Thabkyou very much for your help I will try as often as I can to feed it

7. chickens really

Also, brooder temp.....if he is too cold he will huddle into the warmest spot....if too hot he will leave the heat....ducklings do not peep like a chick if temp is off.......try adjusting the heat? ......i never run a certain temp for Ducklings....it is all by behaviour of the babies......

Cheers.

8. won023

Jan 31, 2017
    England
    Thanks also wonder if his first poo is meant to be green and white he's eaten a lot of crumbs since then photo of the poo in the background of the photo but I feel that green poo isn't normal[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. chickens really

Yes it is normal.....he just came out of an egg with a lot of weird stuff.......

I would encourage him to eat the wet soupy food the first few days....Ducklings can choke easily without the right amounts of water to wash down the crumbles.......

10. chickens really

His new little system has to get used to eating feed....Poop will be strange for a few days......wet the feed like soup and it will do fine.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by