2 day old gosling fading all of a sudden HELP!

crj

Songster
10 Years
Dec 17, 2009
Rocky Point, NC
I have a gosling that hatched 3/30 and was going great until this morning. She has been sleepy all day and seems rather lethargic and is scaring me. She has been sounding a little congested since she hatch but she has been very lively.

This morning I heard a constant squeak. I got up and saw it was the gosling. She seemed ok just sleepy. I would hear , squeak, squeak squeak and so on when she breathed. I don't know what to give her. I have her on pine shavings in an open cage with water and food. I did put some vitamins in the water this morning hoping that would help. I had to go out today and I don't know if she drank or ate.

Can I give her Duramycin-10? If so how much. I didn't see anything on the package about waterfowl. Sow I want to check to see if it's safe.

I'll be anxiously awaiting any answers. Thanks

I'm sorry . . . I don't have anything specific to add except that it sounds like you are doing everything I would. Poor goosey. Does she have a heat lamp or a hot water bottle if she is cold . . . The vitamins should be good and just trying to keep everything warm and dry. I hope she is doing better.

where did you get this gosling? make sure temperature is 90 degree first week, 85 degrees second week, 80 degrees third week and so on. Any other birds with her now? I always use 1 cup sugar to one gallon water disolved and mixed real good. water should be room temperature. I dont think I would use any medication at this time and what vitamins are you feeeding her? keep her warm 90 degrees heat lamp, not too close to her head and room to move away if she gets too hot. good luck. I have my baby born the same day, in a deep tupperwarde storage tub. straw in the bottom, heat lamp is about 150 watt red bulb on all around the clock. waterer is full and again room temp. I am feeding her unmedicated chick starter with ffresh pulled grass including the roots with a little dirt, two times a day. good luck. O yea, nowhere there is a cool breeze should have all the side covered from drafts.

Sadly the gosling died. I will know better next time if I hear gurgling or raspiness I will start them on the Tetracycline for any respitory issues. I'm heart sick about it but I tired everything.

jynxster I had done all of those things but it still wasn't it enough to keep her well. I used a 100 watt bulb though but it was still warm enough for her and she was in the house. I know there will be a next time so at least I did learn a hard lesson.

Thanks all for you help and suggestions.

I'm sorry to hear that
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom