2 Day old Pekin duckling foot deformed

Lucy Duck

Chirping
6 Years
5 Years
Aug 7, 2014
Hi folks! My cousin just purchased 10 ducklings of mixed breeds and they were delivered to her home on Thursday from Metzer Farms. She noticed after speaking to them that one duckling, the Pekin, has a foot deformity. Apparently the web is somewhat curled and she has kept mostly to herself. She is eating and drinking a little. I apologize that I have no pictures to share as I know that is helpful but I was wondering if anyone else has had experienced this and if they have any advice. Thank you!

http://www.louises-country-closet.com/2013/04/curled-and-broken-duckling-toes.html
Hope this helps!
Good luck!
bun.gif

Thank You!! That article was very helpful!! I'm hoping I can get to her house tomorrow and pick the baby up to bring home so I can look after her. Thank you again!!

With ducklings, some of them are very sensitive to the low levels of B vitamins - especially niacin - in chick feed. Some also seem to inherit a vitamin deficiency, somehow (mother duck may have not had all the vitamins she needed when she laid that egg).

Anyway, an important thing to do for ducklings with leg problems is give them extra B vitamins. Several Duck Forum members put brewer's yeast in the food (one member says a tablespoon of brewer's yeast per cup of food). Others add some Super B Complex to the drinking water (a general rule of thumb is 100 to 150 mg B3 - niacin - per gallon of water as a guide for dosage).

Feel free to post over on the Duck Forum.

Great link that Ameraucanas gave you!

Thank you Amiga! Before my cousin purchased the ducklings I did inform her to pick up either a vitamin supplement or brewers yeast which she was able to pick up yesterday on her day off. I contacted Metzer Farms and told them about the ducklings problem and they are going to send a replacement just incase for some reason this little girl doesn't make it. I love those folks there! They are always very helpful and I would still recommend them to everyone. By the way I see that you are "over run with Runners." I love my Runners to the moon and back, especially my little Blue Runner Male named "Smalls." They are so darn smart and so comical!! Smalls will simply lay on my lap, and he is great with the kids, even my toddler who is very energetic. Thank you also with the advice you gave me before about my Pekin male with the injured foot. I believe now that the night the weasel attacked and he escaped outside that it was frostbite that got his little foot. His leg and toes are still intact but the web continues to slowly fall off. He wobbles around but is otherwise very happy and healthy and I am working on making him something to substitute as a foot for the one he is losing. He lost his "wife" last winter and he was all alone for awhile until we fortified the pen and house and he stopped preening and ate every little. Now that he has his new women he is very happy!!

Great news all around! I know you are watching your Pekin drake's foot closely - make sure there is no sign of infection - sometimes infection can get into birds' bones and then it is really tough. I often write that a good duck vet is best, and I understand that not all of us have that option. Buttercup the Pekin had to have his leg amputated, and now has a 3D-printed leg and it works very very well. There is a youtube video - actually multiple videos - about Buttercup.

Back
Top Bottom