2 Day old Pekin making clicking noises while breathing??

Corbdee

Duckies!
Aug 1, 2020
Middle of somewhere
Hey all. I forgot to mention in my last thread that I’m a new member today :D. I’ve been on this website thousands of times and finally joined. Anyway, I have a 2-3 day old Pekin duckling who seems to have maybe a few deformities. They don’t seem very serious but one thing that is pretty noticeable is that every time he breaths, he makes this clicking noise. And I mean like every single breath he takes. He seems like kind of the runt, because he hasn’t grown at all yet, he’s very small, and isn’t eating much. I decided to give him a scrambled e chicken egg for the first time and it kind of made him a little more energetic but the clicking just isn’t stopping. Any ideas what this is, why it’s happening or if he has a chance at surviving?

Replies would Be appreciated

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC.

How is the duckling doing now?

Clicking could mean the duckling is still absorbing yolk, or has some fluids stuck in his throat.

Could you upload a video of the duckling clicking to a video platform like Youtube or Vimeo, and copy/paste the link here/

Help someone!!
I recently had a duckling die but before it died it was making clicking noises breathing very heavily and falling asleep a lot I have another duckling showing the same symptoms what do I do someone help me please I don’t want any more of my ducklings to die?!?!

Help someone!!
I recently had a duckling die but before it died it was making clicking noises breathing very heavily and falling asleep a lot I have another duckling showing the same symptoms what do I do someone help me please I don’t want any more of my ducklings to die?!?!

Could you post a video of the duckling doing the noise?

Help someone!!
Aw I'm so sorry to hear that. I found out mine was a niacin deficiency, a common disease in ducks and ducklings, often in the runt of the flock. One of the common signs and/or symptoms is when they don't eat enough to get the sufficient amount of nutrients they need, making them weak and possibly dying. Mine also had a broken lung, and one of the holes in her beak didn't go all the way through. None of the above are contagious, however she did die shortly after. Pekins are known to have a number of health issues.

Something that I always do right away in cases like these is giving them lots of electrolytes and/or probiotics, extra nutrients like grass (excellent source of niacin) or a different feed

Back
Top Bottom