2 Day old Quail > 2 week old chicks

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Nekhebet, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Nekhebet

Nekhebet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Erie
    I have 22 quail in the brooder and 5 2 (?) week old Serama chicks in an aquarium with an undertank heater. The Serama chicks have been RUNNING from me the past few days, it's kind of sad....so I scrambled them up a nice egg, breaking it into super tiny pieces since I intended to give some to the quail....

The Serama chicks will have nothing to do with the egg. ?? One of the older ones pecked a piece but other than that...not even a nibble.

The quail however, are going to town on that scrambled egg. So far, Quail Babies: 1, Serama Chicks: 0

I took the egg back and fed it to the rooster and hen....he's gobbling it down and making the silliest noises of pleasure you can imagine. Apparently, those chicks missed out, LOL>

2. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    It's like a game show competition [​IMG]

3. Nekhebet

Nekhebet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Erie
    Quote:For some reason I figured the chickens would be smarter. It won't be much of a competition if they don't start fighting back lol.

4. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I had a lonely chick hatch and I thought the quail babies would keep him company...well the chick got lazy and decided to sit on some quail (no quail died). I gave him his own brooder. 6 more chicks hatched so he wasn't so lonely after all...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by