2 day old seems to be fading away

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tonim, Oct 18, 2011.

1. tonim

tonim New Egg

Oct 18, 2011
    This is my first hatch, first time ever having chickens and my one Australaup baby my son already adores is not thriving. Sleeping most of the time and not taking food, am giving water with a dropper on occasion (I work during the day). The rest seem OK except for a Faverole with one bulging eye.

Is there anything I can do to help my little Australorp?
    Is the Faverole going to be OK?

I change the flooring (paper towel) in the brooder and fresh water and food twice a day. The chicken crumbles are medicated.

Please help?

2. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    Sometimes chicks will just die no matter what you do. There have been many times I have not known why the chick died.

3. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Unfortunately, it does happen no matter what you do - I would try a drop of liquid baby vitamins without iron

4. Davian

Davian Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    Vermont, USA
    Try sugar water maybe? Odds are the chick is just not going to make it regardless but it might help.

5. tonim

tonim New Egg

Oct 18, 2011
    Thanks for the advice everyone, I'll go get some vitamin drops this morning and do my best amyway.

6. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Make a wet mash out of the crumbles, and get the chick interested. Right away. Sometimes they can't eat the crumbles cause they're too big.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by