2 day old silkie chick with messed up leg

countrygirl911

Songster
9 Years
Jun 17, 2010
Mississippi
i hatched out a few silkies a few days ago and they all were fine but today one of them has a hurt leg it is sticking out to the side not sure if it is sprawl leged or broken is there a way to fix it. i have it seperated from the others and it is drinking and eating with a little help. it falls and lays on its side most of the time it can not stay upright at all should i try to help or cull it if i cull it what is the best way to do it with out the bay chick suffering

try a search on spraddle leg. You take a band aid, cut it lengthwise and placing the pad part between the legs, you take each b-aid arm and wrap around a leg. Keep the distance between legs about it's shoulder length. If it doesn't get better the best way for culling a chick is wrapping it in a paper towel with it's neck extended and using a sharp pair of scissors in one snip to decapitate it.

we wound up having to cull it it was way to bad to try to fix it it looked like the chick was doing the splits and it could not get around and looked like it was getting weaker thank you for the advice i will know what to do next time if i get a chick that is not as bad as this one

Back
Top Bottom