2 days after hatching day. First hatching. No chirping for wobbling. What should I do?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by pipchick1, Jul 29, 2014.

1. pipchick1

pipchick1 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2014
    I am using an little giant forced air incubator. I didn't try to incubate the eggs with my hens because, they've never layed on their eggs and incubated them before. So I started out easy. This is my first time hatching. I know I made a few mistakes. I didn't know that the little giant incubator would turn the eggs for me. So I turned the eggs then I realized that the incubator did it for me. And I candled the eggs later than usual. I started candling them on day 20 . I was really upset about what I was doing. And somebody told me that doing the water test on day 20 was way too early. My temp would spike up and down. The temp when it would go up was about 120 degrees! I was soo sad. When I would see the temp in there and it said 120 I would quickly change it. When the temp spiked down. It would probably go to 90 degrees. And I didn't know what the humidity was! Me and my parents went to go and get a new thermometer. It showed the temp and the humidity. I looked up some info and it said the humidity should be between 60-65 and it was at 30! So I put some water in and it settled down to 62. I was really glad. On the 21 day I could see them wobbling just a little bit. And I thought I heard a little chirp, but I wasn't sure. But today is the 23 day and they haven't hatched yet! I would balance the egg in my hand. It would feel really heavy. And I think I could see the outlining of the feathers in the shell! I was excited! Any advice about what I should see?[​IMG]

2. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

[​IMG] great to have you here [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I bought this incubator in 1997 and have been using it ever since .....

[​IMG]
    This is the inside of the incubator ..........

Do you have any pictures of your incubator ?????????

3. Frindizzle

Frindizzle Guitar Girl <3 Premium Member

4. pipchick1

Jul 28, 2014
    Ok here it is! I took the bottom out on the 22 day. Just incase they do hatch. I heard a lot of people that so I just wanted to try it out. [​IMG] inside [​IMG] outside

5. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

6. pipchick1

Jul 28, 2014
    Ok thanks !

7. pipchick1

Jul 28, 2014
    Should I do a c-section on my eggs? This is my 23 day and I don't see any sign of hatching! Should I or not?!?

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! sorry about the hatch not going well, you might want to post on thye Incubating and Hatching Eggs forum for more input https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/5/incubating-hatching-eggs At day 23 with all the problems you had and nothing happening it is not looking good, but with your incubators temperature variations it is possible that they are delayed and some might still be viable. You might want to do a float test https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ng-egg-viability-for-late-or-overdue-hatching or try to candle them if you have a good flashlight here is a really nice article from the Learning Center that talks about candling them and you might like for next time https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101

9. gander007

Alright one day 18 is your lock down date and the top should not come off till day 21 or 22 and new hatchlings can stay in there for several days ......

Is your outside them close or greater then the inside of your incubator ????

You can take it into the bathroom and steam up the bathroom with hot running water to keep everything equal this is very important ........

Next time you decide to incubate and you will check out the Incubators Trend we will help you every step of the way .......

If you have more questions just ask .........

10. gander007

I just noticed you have the vent plugs in these should be removed on days 7 through 10 an your first candling ..... or is this an old photo ..........

Really nice incubator funny how clean they look when they are new ........

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by