2 days before lockdown, the temp spiked to 104

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by wrestling_mom, Sep 29, 2011.

1. wrestling_mom

wrestling_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2011
    Henderson County, NC
    I had chicks due to hatch today, but about 3 days ago, I noticed the temp in the LG (still air, no turner) was 104. I got it down, but the next morning, it was 104 again. I pulled the last vent plug, and it dropped to 97. It sits at 98 now. What are the odds of a hatch? Can I float them now, as long as their are no external pips? If they died, I'd just as soon take them out now, and set the 2 dozen I have waiting.
    Thanks for any help!

2. comptonsgonecountry

comptonsgonecountry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    My guess is that they will not hatch. But than I have heard others on here say that they had a couple hatch with a spike like that. I wish you all the luck and hopefully some will make it through for you.

3. wrestling_mom

Jun 3, 2011
    Henderson County, NC
    I tried floating them, it seemed that they popped up to the top, leaving about the size of a 7 dayold air cell above water. If they wiggled, i couldn't tell, my darn kids were walking all over the place,lol. One egg kind of floated on its side, the rest were air cell up. I guess I will try candling tonight.

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    One of my incubators went down to 93 the one day because of a power outage. When the power came back on one of the incubators went up to 115. Another time on our coldest night I lost power, I was 2 weeks into incubation. The temp in the incubator was 78 degrees when I discovered it. I put the incubator on a battery pack with an inverter and brought the temp back up. I still had good hatches. It takes time for the internal temperature in the eggs to cool down or heat up so I don't think that will really affect the hatch too much.

5. wrestling_mom

Jun 3, 2011
    Henderson County, NC
    I hope they hatche. If not, this will be the fourth crap hatch:( No idea why all of the sudden no one makes it alive:(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by