2 days late peeping silky and mama abandoned

It lived! It's been 8 hours. I think it's foot nay be deformed or weak. When should I put it back with ma and chicks? I know I should do it at night. Tonight or tomorrow?

Does a mama need to sit on a hatching chick? Mama is tending to other chicks and one is left to hatch on its own. It's 2 days late. Half the egg is cracked. I can see it moving. Do I leave it alone or put mama on it?

I am unsure of the reason that one of your chicks is a late hatcher but most of the time this is the fault of the poultry keeper. Always make sure that your hen is not sitting on a Dukes' mixture of egg ages or eggs that were laid AFTER the momma hen took to her nest. Hens can count the weeks and days that they have been hovering their eggs much better than you or I can and hens are only preprogramed to sit tight for 3 days after her biddies start hatching, which is all the time needed or decreed by Mother Nature for chicks to hatch and gather their strength before the hen and her chicks are off the nest and about the serious business of growing up..

It survived. I learned a lesson here not to play with nature. Mama must have known there was an issue with the chick. The chick is off to the side panting and doesn't walk well. I pushed The chick back under mama but I get the feeling it won't survive. When do the chicks get strong enough to hop around? I have only had 2 clutches of chicks hatch and I haven't interfered. Maybe they sit under mama for 2 days until I see them out?

How's your chick doing now? Yes they do stay under her untill she feels hatch is fine then she will take them off the nest to feed and for a drink.

Chick is still ok. It breathes heavily and can't hop straight. I know there is something wrong with its foot. I'm surprised mama is still caring for it because it chirps a lot and can't keep up with the rest. We are giving it water through a little dropper. Should we let nature take its course or keep helping this little trooper along?

I'm afraid that has to be your call, I cant say you should or should not continue with the trooper. Did you check out the link above that I left you? The leg issue could be something you could fix.

I'm soft and try to give them all a chance but if quality of life is affected they get the chop :(

Back
Top Bottom